Reputation Points & Comments- WHY?

Just to show how much I care for rep pts, I am going to give everyone pos reps just for being ukulele players. Really it's not a big deal, it's just something silly that forums' have.

Can you control how many rep points you give someone for a post or does it always award the same?

Some people on here have been so helpful that I'd like to give some of their outstanding posts a bit more rep than I would give to a "standard" helpful post... er... if that makes sense?

It's just determined by your own reputation. The higher your rep - the more you rep points are worth. I don't think you can control how much you give

[...]Really it's not a big deal, it's just something silly that forums' have.

It's certainly not a big deal, but how silly it is depends how you look at it. Seeso, NukeDOC, JJ and a heap of others have all contributed stuff that has helped me out or educated me in some way, or straightened me out when I've made mistakes. It's good to have a way to say thanks without posting an embarrassing public gusher! It's much quicker than a PM and you can do it anonymously if you are afraid of being branded a sycophant!

As for neg rep... Well that's when it's not a big deal. One can either see it as a reminder to think before posting, or ignore it as one would a troll. :)

"or straightened me out when I've made mistakes"
:agree:

And in many cases, PREVENTED us from making the same mistakes they did!
(Even though sometimes that IS the best way to learn, just not the most fun)

I don't get this point or rep business, but again, there's a lot of stuff I don't get on this site.

I'm not sure there is a "point" to any of the rep points. From what I can tell -- and I've been here a while -- you have to go out of your way to see how many rep points you have. Yes, we can see the colored squares, but if you aren't aware of rep points, the squares mean nothing. Don't worry about it. There is a wide range of points, obviously, but who cares, really? Don't fret about it. Oooooh! What a great term for an ukulele forum.

"but if you aren't aware of rep points, the squares mean nothing"

We could make up a UU T-shirt saying something like-

I am working on attaining
[ ] [ ] [ ]
(three green squares)​

Like my branch mangager says about our "Employee Recognition Awards"

We are ALL worthy

Top Bottom