Differences between "cheap" and "expensive" ukuleles

This both is and isn't a beginner's question. It is in so far that I don't have a clue as to what the real difference is, and it isn't in so far as this isn't a "what ukulele should I buy" thread. I have two, and they're fine. Ultimately, I may be questioning the value of an expensive ukulele when compared to the cheap alternatives. So, what do I mean by "cheap" and "expensive"?

For purposes of this thread, let's say cheap is somewhere between $100 and $400, inclusive. That covers most of the decent to very nice Kala's, Ohana's, and the like ($400's actually a little high). Also for purposes of this thread, let's say expensive is $500 on up. That seems to be where the inexpensive Kamakas, Koaloha, and the like, start (and $500 might be a little low). We all, of course, have our own definitions of cheap and expensive, depending on our personal budgets, but these two groups I've identified have some overlap in terms of what is offered for these amounts of money. For example, $180 will get you an all mahogany Ohana, where $1800 will get you an all mahogany Martin. That's an extreme example, but it illustrates the point.

The question, then, is, what does 10x the cost get me? I am a beginner, so I wouldn't necessarily know the difference, but I've been to Elderly Instruments several times and played around with some Martins (including 80 year old Martins, one of them absolutely beat to hell and back and still costing $500), and while I can hear a difference, I'm not convinced it's a difference worth the money.

Perhaps a little background to this question will help with the cogitation. As a beginner, I bought what I thought was a decent Ukulele at a reasonable price. The more I play it, the more I like it, the better I get, the more I think, someday I'll spring for a really nice one. Which brings me to the thought, what's so great about those really nice ones that I'd want to spend many times more for one?

I agree, if your budget can afford the more expensive ukes, then I would buy one of those, they will easily hold their value if you should decide to sell:eek: and the nicer the uke the more you will play it and the better you will get!:music:

There's also the setup factor that will improve on the cheaper factory ukes. Most factory ukes will probably come with high action and intonation issues, but if you buy from Mim or HMS etc., they will fix that for you, so that's added value and makes them comparable to the more expensive ones in terms of playability. The differences that remain are sound, build quality and cosmetics.

Sound is related to tonewood and the build, the more lightly built the more resonant. To me, build is where the cost is most justified - the experience of a great luthier that goes into the design and execution of building an instrument. Then again, Pepe Romero is making sure the factory that produces the Romero Creations can replicate his build exactly, and same for KoAloha and the Opio. So before we even get to K-brands and customs, there are these more premium Asian-made ukes that are very worthy of consideration. In my opinion, these may be the best value for the price, since they are an upgrade in build and cosmetics over the cheaper lines of Asian ukes, have features of their more expensive cousins, but are about 3 times cheaper.

Personally I don't think I want to spend more than $800 on a uke, just because I know I will get obsessive about protecting it from dings and scratches. Yes, an instrument is meant to be played, but I can't get it out of my head that "it is such an expensive instrument! Be careful with it!" (I drool over them, of course - but they're just not practical for me.)

Last edited:
Although you just revived a thread that is 9 years old, your post is right on point! As a luthier I always advise people to buy the best they can afford. Being a luthier, I promise them I will make it sound and play the best it can be.

Haha I did? I don't know how I got here... I had it open on my phone this morning and started reading. It was an interesting read. Sorry for the resurrection! :eek:

You're welcome - I should change my name to thread revivor, hah! ;)

Although you just revived a thread that is 9 years old
...I just read through this entire thread and didn't even realize it was old until I got to this post. Seemed like a current conversation to me. I guess there are some things that will always make for a relevant discussion.

...I just read through this entire thread and didn't even realize it was old until I got to this post. Seemed like a current conversation to me. I guess there are some things that will always make for a relevant discussion.

Easy mistake to make. Who has time to look at timestamps :p

For purposes of this thread, let's say cheap is somewhere between $100 and $400, inclusive. That covers most of the decent to very nice Kala's, Ohana's, and the like ($400's actually a little high). Also for purposes of this thread, let's say expensive is $500 on up. That seems to be where the inexpensive Kamakas, Koaloha, and the like, start (and $500 might be a little low). We all, of course, have our own definitions of cheap and expensive, depending on our personal budgets, but these two groups I've identified have some overlap in terms of what is offered for these amounts of money. For example, $180 will get you an all mahogany Ohana, where $1800 will get you an all mahogany Martin. That's an extreme example, but it illustrates the point.

What struck me from this 2009 thread is how the ukulele industry and the instrument appearance has changed. The brands that represent expensive, or should I say the names missing from that expensive bucket that are commonly referred to today. I remember those times. A different era when bling might be curly koa, or a fancy rosette and binding. Mya Moe was just starting out and Kanilea's revolutionary high gloss finish was only a year or so removed.

There was a definite absence of independent/custom luthiers of high end ukuleles; nothing against Martin or K's. It is a bit of time travel for me. I imagine those who have been around a lot longer have seen even more changes.

John

If no ukes had brand names or distinguishing features that identify them, I bet prices would be lower. Part of the price is due to the brand name, I'm sure. Material and construction quality account for some of the high prices, but I don't think a high price guarantees high quality sound. Experts cannot distinguish the sound of a million dollar Stradivarius from a good quality violin. There is a healthy profit margin in high end ukes. Joe Suoza began Kanile'a twenty years ago, and he's now a multi-millionaire.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/02/kanilea-ukulele-makes-millions-selling-ukuleles-from-hawaii.html

I think kaka on Oscar Schmidt make fine ukes for $200 or so in a variety of woods and finishes. As a beginner they will suit you well for a long time. I love my pond mtd which is a step up, I think. I play because I like to, I like figuring out dongs, I like it when I hear a song an say to myself, that would sound cool on a uke. Do I consider myself a good player, no. I can play a tune (picking) that most propel revognize. I would like to strum and sing, if I could sing. Howver, I don't see any need for anything more than what I have. Unless Jake calls and asks me to open for him, then I might get something"better".
There is an os spalted tenor for sale in the market place. I am sooooo tempted, but I think it would be a good place to start looking.

Last edited:
The Kanilea story might be more of an exception when it comes to ukulele manufacturers. I don't know much about the early years, but somewhere around 2006 or so, I believe, Joe Souza went to Taylor Guitars and learned how to apply a truly great gloss finish that was not common on ukuleles at the time. But what really helped put Kanilea on the map was the Tru Bracing. Prior to that the ukes were a little bit overbuilt and lacked some projection. The result was a great looking and sounding uke. I also remember MGM was quite a proponent of Kanilea. While Kanilea had established itself as one of the K's, the real money, as already stated, is in the import line.

It is a great story and the Souzas are great people and deserve the rewards.

John

Experts cannot distinguish the sound of a million dollar Stradivarius from a good quality violin.https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/02/kanilea-ukulele-makes-millions-selling-ukuleles-from-hawaii.html

What? Of course they can. The foremost violinists in the world will take jobs just so they can play one. The thing experts can't figure out is why exactly they are so amazing and unique.

I love my Kanilea more than any other uke I have ever touched, including a couple even more expensive ones, including a custom built to my specs. To me the difference between it and the cheap ones I own can be heard, seen, and even felt.

That said, and back to the OP's question way back when, I could have led a very happy and fulfilling life as an uker with my first uke. One beauty of ukulele is even the $20 ones are a joy.

What? Of course they can. The foremost violinists in the world will take jobs just so they can play one. The thing experts can't figure out is why exactly they are so amazing and unique.

I love my Kanilea more than any other uke I have ever touched, including a couple even more expensive ones, including a custom built to my specs. To me the difference between it and the cheap ones I own can be heard, seen, and even felt.

That said, and back to the OP's question way back when, I could have led a very happy and fulfilling life as an uker with my first uke. One beauty of ukulele is even the $20 ones are a joy.

https://www.thestrad.com/blind-test...s-violins-from-modern-instruments/994.article
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/million-dollar-strads-fall-modern-violins-blind-sound-check

But -
https://www.thestrad.com/stradivari...st-of-old-and-modern-instruments/5129.article

So what is "expensive" and "cheap"? Is a $500 Kala expensive compared to a $50 Makala or Mahalo or used Asian made uke from earlier in the century. If you did a blind test with a $50 Makala Shark and $500 Kala prettywood could you pick the difference? Would you see a $450 (9 times) difference?

I admit that I buy based on appearance and reputation. My ukuleles do sound different from each other, but I don't have any that sound bad to me. They range from a $20 uke I bought in an ABC store in HI in 2002 to the K brands. Of course there is a difference in sound, but I still like playing all of them. At this point, I have to say that the Koaloha Scepter has them all beat.

In my relatively short history with Ukes, the only ones that I said “Oh my, this sounds really wonderful” when I first played them have been what most people would consider expensive. Sure, the law of diminishing returns definitely applies in this case, I know a $2500 Uke is not 10 times better then a $250 instrument, but for me it’s a question of the value I put on playing a finely crafted musical instrument. The answer to that question can be determined by reading the list of my current instruments in my signature below. Luckily I have been fortunate enough in my life to be able to be indulgent.

I broadcast on FaceBook nearly every day - a sort of 'peek through my workshop window'. One of the most common responses is, "Now I can see why you charge what you door your ukulele..." You do get something special and different from a hand made instrument and if I do it right, it is going to take time and I am going to use the best materials available. Fronts are going to be accurately voiced and the playing action over the 12th fret and nut is going to be like butter. I guess that is rally what you pay for - time and effort.

I broadcast on FaceBook nearly every day - a sort of 'peek through my workshop window'...Fronts are going to be accurately voiced and the playing action over the 12th fret and nut is going to be like butter. I guess that is rally what you pay for - time and effort.

I've always wondered what that means, or involves, voicing the top. And do all builders do it?

Top Bottom