Song Help Request Who is this Ringo Starr guy?

Ringo sang "With A Little Help From My Friends" and wrote and sang "Octopus' Garden" both of which sound good on the uke.

And he IS a good drummer.

When asked once in an interview, later in the Beatles' career, if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world. Lennon replied that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

By that point though, Paul was meant to have been doing most of the drumming in the studio?...

Classic Lennon wit, very sharp tongued!

From what I gather he is meant to of written "Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden", but they could well just be co-written like the rest.

I'm not really a fan of Ringo, never have been but especially after he slated Liverpool, while he had a song out about Liverpool 8 (the district of Liverpool he was born in). I'm from Liverpool, infact, just a few streets away from where he grew up and I wouldn't say anybody is really a fan? He's only famous because he was in the Beatles, hes done nothing worthwhile since...

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure he was the first to die. After that they all started their solo careers, I think.

He's actually still alive.

Anyway, he's a very technically sound drummer. He can keep a solid beat. With players like Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison, someone has to stay steady. If you listen to songs with people going crazy, there's always one person staying steady, holding the beat. And, he can go solo. Listen to "The End."

Thems fightin' words, sonny.

Indeed they are! I will correct myself so far as to say that yes, Ringo did some great work with the Beatles, and evolved from the poppy wobbly head drummer into something more intricate and understated. But I'm a huge Beatles' fan and it is my belief that it is just a case of being in the right place at the right time for Ringo. That could've been any drummer that the Beatles met in Hamburg, and I'm sure he too would,ve evolved in the sme way to the other boys writting and plaaying.

But as pauljmuk said, he is a prize prat, and not just for the Liverpool thing. He now says he won't sign autographs anymore as he doesn't have the time, and around the same time as all this he appeared in two T.V. adverts in the U.K...

In the first, for Aviva, you see him walking through an airport and being greeted by a limo driver holding up a sign with "Ringo" on it. Ringo then turns to the camera and says "Don't call me by my stage name"...

In the second then, for Deed Poll maybe I think, there are a load of celebritis who have changed their names saying things like "Who ever heard of an actor called..." Then it comes to Ringo and he says "Who ever heard of a famous drummer from Liverpool called Richard Starkey?"...

Now these adverts both ran at the same time, sometimes one after another. So Ringo clearly isn't somebody who thinks things out very clearly, he's obviosly just intersted in the money... afterall, his solo career can't be worth much?

Should've just stuck with Thomas the Tank Engine... I think we all could've lived with that!...

If you want to see Ringo at his best get a copy of Concert For George and have a look at the song Wah-Wah.

Let me clear this up; "Octopus's Garden" was written almost entirely by John and Paul and given to Ringo, sort of as a gift. Ringo only had a small hand in the composition. The only Beatles song Ringo wrote on his own was "Don't Pass Me By".

And yes, Ringo is a great and underappreciated drummer.

I like Ringo because he was the perfect drummer for one of my favorite bands, but I worship him for convincing a "Bond girl" to marry him.

attachment.php

Top Bottom