Mystery Chord

ukekungfu

Reaction score
Well I've been playing the uke for a year now and I'm trying to learn this song and writing a tab for it. But I can't seem to find this chord here:

A|0
E|3
C|4
G|3

Does anyone know what the name of this chord is? Thanks. =):shaka:

A lot of it depends on context. What key is the song in? On first sight I would call it some flavor of Edim.

My best stab is kind of Gmin6+9/E... with no 5th? :confused:

I can figure out other sort-of-possibles, but they're all a bit weird with more than one missing tone... no root for example.

Sure it's not 0343? That's a G#maj7 (according to the reverse chord finder).

But 3430 - might be a D#7b9th (2323 is D7b9) or F#7b9 (since 2323 is also F7b9).​

I would say an A7b9... you have the root, the b9 the 5 and the b7

Possibly. But there's no third, which is crucial (more so than the fifth).

If I had to call it anything, I'd say it was an Edim/A, just because that's the simplest. But Seeso's right about context. Knowing the other chords would be a big help in naming it.

JJ

My inital thoughts where how it was just like an Ebdim moved up but leaving the A open.
So if I was gonna name it, I would also just call it a Edim/A.

Thank you all. I was going online a lot and trying to find that chord and it looks like the Ebdim. But the chords around it are G, D7, Am7, C7. I don't know it that changes the chords but I wrote it down as such.

Another question haha. I wanted to know what chords these are also:
A|2
E|2
C|2
G|4

A|2
E|3
C|4
G|2

A|2
E|3
C|3
G|2

Thanks for the help. :shaka:

Thank you all. I was going online a lot and trying to find that chord and it looks like the Ebdim. But the chords around it are G, D7, Am7, C7. I don't know it that changes the chords but I wrote it down as such.

A|2
E|2
C|2
G|4

A|2
E|3
C|4
G|2

A|2
E|3
C|3
G|2

My best shots:

Bm/D

G6+9/E (no 5th)

b7#5/D#

A|2
E|2
C|2
G|4

A|2
E|3
C|4
G|2

A|2
E|3
C|3
G|2

Your original chord is quite possibly a rootless C13. Can you show where it appears in the sequence with the other chords please?

The new ones are:

Bm - no need for the /D. The ukulele doesn have bass notes.

Em11 - sort of, probably, but it doesn't have a 7th. It really depends on context again. Where does it appear in sequence with the other chords?

B+7

The thing that decides the ambiguous cases is really what the bass is doing and what chords come before and after. Asking what chord a random shape is in isolation isn't all that useful. For example we all know that 0000 is a C6 or Am7 chord. Already we have 2 interpretations of the same shape, but if the bass is playing an F then it becomes a rootless Fmaj9.

It's a many to many relationship. You can ask how to play a certain chord and get lots of different yet correct answers and you can ask what chord a particular shape is and also get lots of different yet correct answers.

Your question of the A/C# is interesting. As pointed out, the standard open position A does have a C# as it's lowest note, but it most likely doesn't really matter which voicing you choose on the ukulele. The C# is a bass note and the ukulele doesn't really do bass. Playing the C# in the bass is another instrument's job really.

It is sometimes obvious that a particular bass line is implied. For example you might see D, A/C#, Bm. This would imply a descending bass line going D, C#, B. You'll never do that on a ukulele. The B is off the bottom of the instrument. If you're playing without a bass player, your best bet, in a case like that, might even be to make that line the top notes of the chord. 2225, 4654, 4222

Your original chord is quite possibly a rootless C13. Can you show where it appears in the sequence with the other chords please?

The new ones are:

Bm - no need for the /D. The ukulele doesn have bass notes.

Em11 - sort of, probably, but it doesn't have a 7th. It really depends on context again. Where does it appear in sequence with the other chords?

B+7

The thing that decides the ambiguous cases is really what the bass is doing and what chords come before and after. Asking what chord a random shape is in isolation isn't all that useful. For example we all know that 0000 is a C6 or Am7 chord. Already we have 2 interpretations of the same shape, but if the bass is playing an F then it becomes a rootless Fmaj9.

It's a many to many relationship. You can ask how to play a certain chord and get lots of different yet correct answers and you can ask what chord a particular shape is and also get lots of different yet correct answers.

Your question of the A/C# is interesting. As pointed out, the standard open position A does have a C# as it's lowest note, but it most likely doesn't really matter which voicing you choose on the ukulele. The C# is a bass note and the ukulele doesn't really do bass. Playing the C# in the bass is another instrument's job really.

It is sometimes obvious that a particular bass line is implied. For example you might see D, A/C#, Bm. This would imply a descending bass line going D, C#, B. You'll never do that on a ukulele. The B is off the bottom of the instrument. If you're playing without a bass player, your best bet, in a case like that, might even be to make that line the top notes of the chord. 2225, 4654, 4222

Wow, thanks for that. I feel like I just got a music lesson =) I can read music casually, because I used to play the classical stringed instruments like: Violin, Cello, and Bass. But After junior high and high school I stopped going to formal classes. Not until I picked up the guitar did I really get back into music, but we all know that self taught guitarist start out learning "the wrong way" by just learning tabs and chord progressions; not really knowing music theory, chord theory, and the like. Even in my prior years of music I never really got in depth lessons about music and it's many facets.

So the forward slash is an indicator of what bass note you play in addition to the former chord? Hm, prior to your post I led myself to believe that the forward slash indicated a specific note you had to play along with the chord. For example: In the case of A/C# I played the Amaj chord with my pinky on the 4th fret of the A string.

A|4 <-- I thought that this was the C#
E|0
C|1
G|2

After I started playing the ukulele, which I play more now than my guitar :eek:, I wanted to get better at music in general. Not just in playing but in understanding the in depth world of music. Because I believe that a musician should be well versed in the language. So if anyone else can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you dibblet.

Wow, thanks for that. I feel like I just got a music lesson =)

Sorry. I didn't mean to be intimidating.

So the forward slash is an indicator of what bass note you play in addition to the former chord? ...

Yes, normally, but this notation is pretty informal so it could mean anything really. I've always thought of the '/' as being pronounced 'over'.

Hm, prior to your post I led myself to believe that the forward slash indicated a specific note you had to play along with the chord. For example: In the case of A/C# I played the Amaj chord with my pinky on the 4th fret of the A string.

A|4 <-- I thought that this was the C#
E|0
C|1 <-- This is a C# too! (dibbs)
G|2

After I started playing the ukulele, which I play more now than my guitar :eek:, I wanted to get better at music in general. Not just in playing but in understanding the in depth world of music. Because I believe that a musician should be well versed in the language. So if anyone else can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you dibblet.

I'm a keyboard and clarinet player but I too play ukulele mostly - after about 40 years of playing the first 2 and less than 3 years of uke (no guitar!). Dunno why.

Haha no worries cuz. I wasn't intimidated at all. I was actually "enlightened" you might say. I thought what you said was very insightful and eye-opening.

I'm a keyboard and clarinet player but I too play ukulele mostly - after about 40 years of playing the first 2 and less than 3 years of uke (no guitar!). Dunno why.

The ukulele is an addicting instrument lol. It's actually made my guitar playing better. There was a point where I hit a plateau on the guitar, and when I started playing the uke I got past it. I've played the guitar 5 years now lol and the uke almost 2 years now. One of my friends from a deployment I had for the military actually got me interested in playing it.

Oh and Seeso, thanks for the site brah. I'll look into it.

Top Bottom