ukulele pickups

Have you plugged it in? Do you like the sound of it?

If you aren't going to be performing, I would wait on worrying about pickups until you upgrade to a better 'ukulele (Kalas are not bad, you just might want to consider putting the money that you would spend on upgrading pickups towards a better uke).

If you are going to perform, I don't think there are any problems with the Kala pickups, so again, I wouldn't worry about upgrading pickups until you have a different 'ukulele.

I play a Hilo passive on my Kamaka. When I had it put in I knew that it wasn't the best, and I had to have it adjusted so it would work on my uke, but now it sounds nice to my ear.

Have you plugged it in? Do you like the sound of it?

If you aren't going to be performing, I would wait on worrying about pickups until you upgrade to a better 'ukulele (Kalas are not bad, you just might want to consider putting the money that you would spend on upgrading pickups towards a better uke).

If you are going to perform, I don't think there are any problems with the Kala pickups, so again, I wouldn't worry about upgrading pickups until you have a different 'ukulele.

I play a Hilo passive on my Kamaka. When I had it put in I knew that it wasn't the best, and I had to have it adjusted so it would work on my uke, but now it sounds nice to my ear.
he's actually one of my bandmates. so a better pickup is actually something that me might need.

as a solo performing uke, i agree theres nothing wrong with a kala and the included shadow electronics. but along with the band when the sound has to blend with the other instruments, the shadow electronics have proven to be more irritating to us than anything.

bj, if your kala already has the shadow pickup, just leave it in there till it starts to give you crap... wont be long the way we do it hahaha. in the meantime see if you can use the money you were going to spend on a pickup, and get a DI of some sort. then keep saving up and when that pickup starts givings too much crap, get a better pickup and ill install it.

he's actually one of my bandmates. so a better pickup is actually something that me might need.

as a solo performing uke, i agree theres nothing wrong with a kala and the included shadow electronics. but along with the band when the sound has to blend with the other instruments, the shadow electronics have proven to be more irritating to us than anything.

bj, if your kala already has the shadow pickup, just leave it in there till it starts to give you crap... wont be long the way we do it hahaha. in the meantime see if you can use the money you were going to spend on a pickup, and get a DI of some sort. then keep saving up and when that pickup starts givings too much crap, get a better pickup and ill install it.

whats a DI???
hahaha
i sound like a noob!!

A DI (box) is either an active or passive input/output box between your pickup and the amp or PA. It is sometimes necessary for a number of reasons: matching impedance, long cable runs, ground-loop hum, etc. Some have equalizers on them like the LR Baggs Para DI which allows you to shape your tone and give you more control over the sound.

I have a K&K Mini passive pup in my Pono. It sounds great going into my board but if I play out I could sure use the LR Baggs Para DI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom