Beaver creek ukuleles?

J-Machine

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a good starter for a friend and came upon a Canadian brand called Beaver creek. They have a beginner and another solid top soprano. the solid top is made of mahogany and I think the starter one is as well.

My question is has anyone got to try them? I'm very interested since I've played their classical guitars and found them to be very nice.

Seeing as nobody has heard of them mayhaps I should buy one and make a review?

The most I've heard about them is that the laminate one for $38.00 is a student model and that the solid top is $109.00 and apparently the professional model. The student model also comes in a variety of colours.

The website is here at: http://www.beavercreekguitars.com/ukuleles.html For those interested.

I haven't heard of them and from the info gathered from the website, they're only available in Canada. A review is a great idea for an entry level instrument and will benefit our northern friends looking for one.

Okie Dokie! I'll be sure to make that review then as the sheer mysteriousness of these things is driving me insane. expect the review by the first week of September.

Yes! Review! I'd like to hear how about this company... never heard anything about them before, but I'm not a guitar player by nature. :)

Beaver Creek

Well, I picked one up for $30, and noodle around with it. It has a nice feel to it, but it's obviously a cheap little instrument. It has no sustain that I can get out of it, and it stays in tune for about, oh, eight minutes. But then again, I have no idea what I'm doing and may be doing the poor thing an injustice. But still, it brings the happy.

Beaver Creek does make at least one more expensive model. I mentioned it a couple of weeks back hoping that someone else might have seen or tried it out.
The model I saw went for about $200 cdn and was available at Cosmo music in Toronto. It looked to be a laminate in a telecaster shape. I was not at all impressed by the sound or action, particularly for $200.
My other post gives a bunch more info on this particular model.

Also, the first uke I got was a $30 beaver creek. It's a piece of junk, roughly on par with the $25 Mahalos.

j

Well, the cheap student model look exactly the same as the cheap Legacy ukes you can get in Australia.
Same body, same head stock, same tuners, same fretboard, same...
They probably come from the same factory in China.
Legacy student uke: http://legacymusic.com.au/products/index.cfm?action=view&id=58

The quality of the Legacy ones in Australia are at least as good as the Makala Dolphins.
They have good action, good tone, decent sustain and decent intonation for a cheap uke. For the same price, they kick Mahalo's butt, even Mahalo's more expensive models.

I wonder whether the Beaver Creek ones would be similar.
The stock strings would probably stink though - try putting on some Aquilas :)
I have mine tuned low-G... even though it's a soprano, the "dreadnaught" shape of it seems to like the low-G better (it's almost as though it's between figure8 and pineapple).

Last edited:
A little search for Beaver Creek on the forum and here I am, just a little late. For our Canadian family I bought a Beaver Creek mahogany laminate baritone yesterday on Kijiji with the supplied gig bag. It had never been played and after cleaning off the dust and cobwebs and tuning it I was pleasantly surprised. The uke needed retuning by the time I drove home and this morning it again needed tweaking so that reinforces the story from the seller about it never being played. As an old repairman, the bridge has such a small glue surface to the top that I think a couple of 1/8 inch bolts or #4 screws with a nice backing plate of 1/8 inch rosewood scrap under the bridge would not be a bad idea. (I never throw any wood out HaHa!!)
I put the mirror inside and all the struts and glue joints are nicely done and no surplus dripping anywhere. Anyways I am a sucker for 27 bucks on a Sunday sunny afternoon. The strings are a puzzlement as they have two wound strings on D,G and two black nylon or flourocarbon?? on B,E.
I just thought that Jamie from Ontario would like to know.
PS: Little sticker on the back of the peghead says. Made in China.

Last edited:
I bought a red beaver creek ukulele for 40$ about 4 months ago. I'm guessing it's laminate? I bought it to learn on and I recently ordered a gretsch g9120 to reward myself. However the beaver creek served me well. It sounds good for the price and I have no trouble keeping it in tune. I would recommend it as a starter. image.jpg

From what Ive played the cheap ones remind me of those colour ukuleles - they're cheap and they do the job. The more expensive ones might be better (haven't tried them). They come with pretty bad strings, I think when you are looking at those 200 ones, go kala instead.

Nice but a little pricey and not much growth with those instruments

I've been looking around for a good starter for a friend and came upon a Canadian brand called Beaver creek. They have a beginner and another solid top soprano. the solid top is made of mahogany and I think the starter one is as well.

My question is has anyone got to try them? I'm very interested since I've played their classical guitars and found them to be very nice.
I just started learning uke about 2 years ago with a Beaver Creek BCUKE-C and I am thoroughly satisfied with the sound and quality

My son works at a store that sells the Beaver Creek. I’ve been tempted to buy one, put Graphtech planetary tuners on it or make it into a five string. LOL. I’m from Canada and see beaver creek all over the place. What we see here is all laminate mahogany. It’s pretty thin. Cheap open back tuners but they work. OK nut and saddle….all,plastic. As a project one could change them. I believe made in China and for $80 Canadian for a tenor……with a little set up, they would make a not bad starter Uke. You’d have to hunt and try a bunch of strings to find what beings out the best sound.

I was tempted but in end order on Amazon an Aklot, five string , solid mahogany top five string…….for same money. It’s a very nice ukulele. I had to file frets, tweak and they are mistakes on the Aklot…like the 15th side fret market is not entered but once I tweaked it, it became a good player and introduced me to five string on the cheap.

Top Bottom