Tea Chest Bass - Where Do I Start?

Reaction score
I found a tea chest while clearing out my grandma's old house and I was lucky enough to have Fin Raucous of Gus & Fin to transform it into a tea chest bass for me. My only problem now is that I'm having trouble knowing how to get started!

I saw lewdite's video about his TCB, but that was about all I could find! Any tea chest folk out there willing to give some advice to a newbie? Thanks in advance guys!

Try doing a search for "Washtub Bass" or have a look here: http://www.otherpower.com/washtub_bass.html
Tea chest bass (believe me) is the easiest instrument to learn and the hardest to play.

The bottom of the broom-handle goes firmly on the edge of the tea-chest at the opposite side to where the string is attached. Holding the handle towards the top, pull it towards yopu to taughten (is that a word?) string until it makes a note when plucked. That's how easy it is to learn. However, you need a really good ear and excellent fine co-ordination to to get the tension perfect for the note you want and all you can do to acquire that is practice.

Ukebox's washtub bass looked a little more predictable - did you see it at the weekend?

Tony

The flames on that tub are great! I'd like one that looked like a tub full of beer bottles.

Top Bottom