Please Help!: Kamaka vs. Kanile'a?

I think it is terrific that all of you guys and girls with KoAlohas love them dearly, but the OP didn't ask about KoAloha. It was my understanding that he or she had (for whatever reasons) chosen to buy a Kamaka or Kanile'a. I initially didn't want a KoAloha (though I fully respect that is the ONLY uke for a lot of you) and if I had been the OP it would have just muddied the waters for me to have everyone telling me to get a KoAloha. EDiT: my KoAloha tenor bought two years after I posted this is now my fave tenor of the three. That being said, I still would only discuss the two ukes the OP asked about.

Just my humble opinion but I figured the advice should be what the OP asked - Kamaka or Kanile'a. Sorry I don't want to make anyone mad but I'm sure you would want brand specific advice as well. If you asked whether you should get a Koolau or KoAloha I wouldn't try to steer you towards a Kanile'a or Kamaka just because those are the brands that I prefer. I would try to help you choose from amongst the ones you had already narrowed it down to...

Anyway, it was just a thought. If you guys truly feel people should ALWAYS pick KoAloha no matter what then I stand corrected...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Please help! I am new to playing the uke, but wanted to invest in a high end tenor that I can enjoy playing (and keep in my family). I have been leaning toward a Kamaka - but many people recently have recommended Kanile'a.

Does anyone out there know of the differences? I can't find any side-by-side comparisons - and there are no dealers close to where I live.

Any advice would be appreciated!

This is prob to late, but input is always nice. These are two of the best Ukulele's on the market. Their sound quality is amazing! But if I had to choose between the two I would have to say Kanilea. Reason being is because the makers have found a new way to coat the Ukulele. When they coat the Ukulele they use less coats on the body it self, which in turn makes the sound louder. So if you are going for a loud sound with a nice body *ey* then Kanilea is the best way to go.

If you are going for traditional Kamaka will never FAIL you!:nana:

The final outcome....

Thanks again to everyone for your comments! I can't tell you how helpful you all have been.

IN case anyone is interested, I wanted to tell you my outcome. You will probably think I am nuts, but I have decided to go with both (well, sort of).

My plan is to first purchase a new Kanile'a tenor. I am hooked on the fact there have been absolutely NO negative reviews on this instrument. Everyone raves about the sound and customer service quality - and I can't say the same thing about Kamakas. Although the number of "issues" with Kamakas have been limited (at least based on what has been reported on these forums), I would be very upset if any of those issues happened to me. Also, I heard Kamaka has not been the most responsive at resolving those issues with some people.

However, I am still in love with the tradition and look of the Kamaka. So my gameplan is to first buy the Kanile'a and after I feel like I want to expand my collection - I will look at buying a Kamaka (probably an 8-string). This will give me two very different instruments - and an excuse to tell my wife on why I need both!!

Thanks again to all of you for your help. I am relatively new to the uke community, but I am having a blast! If any of you are in the NYC area and want to discuss starting a club - or having a jam session - let me know.

Aloha

IN case anyone is interested, I wanted to tell you my outcome. You will probably think I am nuts, but I have decided to go with both (well, sort of). Aloha

As the proud owner of both, I can honestly tell you that you made a great decision. Be sure to post pics when you buy it, and join the Kanile'a Club and Kamaka Klub as well...:D

Kanilea Club: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=20
Kamaka Klub: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=19

I think it is terrific that all of you guys and girls with KoAlohas love them dearly, but the OP didn't ask about KoAloha. It was my understanding that he or she had (for whatever reasons) chosen to buy a Kamaka or Kanile'a. I don't want a KoAloha (though I fully respect that is the ONLY uke for a lot of you) and if I had been the OP it would have just muddied the waters for me to have everyone telling me to get a KoAloha.

Just my humble opinion but I figured the advice should be what the OP asked - Kamaka or Kanile'a. Sorry I don't want to make anyone mad but I'm sure you would want brand specific advice as well. If you asked whether you should get a Koolau or KoAloha I wouldn't try to steer you towards a Kanile'a or Kamaka just because those are the brands that I prefer. I would try to help you choose from amongst the ones you had already narrowed it down to...

Anyway, it was just a thought. If you guys truly feel people should ALWAYS pick KoAloha no matter what then I stand corrected...:rolleyes:

I feel the exact same way about responses on this forum. I'm sure some of the comments are related to owner excitement for the ukulele they own, however, you are right, if the OP had narrowed it down, it's not too cool to keep chiming in how another brand uke is better. Sometimes people are anxious to post, and may not have the experience playing the ukes in question, so they post what experience they have, which unfortunately is not related to the original question.

Chrisg,
Great plan, you will not be disappointed with the Kanilea, it's a great Hawaiian ukulele. My local shop has a few in stock and I got to play them, some subtle differences. It would be good if you could have someone select one based on your personal preference if you are ordering from the internet.

I think it is terrific that all of you guys and girls with KoAlohas love them dearly, but the OP didn't ask about KoAloha. It was my understanding that he or she had (for whatever reasons) chosen to buy a Kamaka or Kanile'a. I don't want a KoAloha (though I fully respect that is the ONLY uke for a lot of you) and if I had been the OP it would have just muddied the waters for me to have everyone telling me to get a KoAloha.

I was quilty of suggesting a koaloha but I also said it was his choice. I eent back and everyone that recommended a koaloha except one mentioned the original ukes. What is wrong with thay? The OP even thanked us for our advise. IMO advice about other ukes is welcome even if I have my mind made up. It is informative. The OP originally wanted a kamaka but because of advice from others they went with a Kanilea. Just my thinking and that is all I have to say about that.

BTW I am not mad, upset or disappointed with you or anyone.

Last edited:
I personally don't see a problem with pointing out another suitable alternative choice in a thread like this. A Koaloha is entirely of the same caliber and price point as the ones initially proposed in the thread and frankly when I am making a pricey decision like that I would like to know what all my options may be. It's not like people were suggesting toaster ovens or golf clubs. And any time you bring up any of the K's, the others are bound to come up as well. They're inextricably linked in most minds.

Plus I'd certainly hate to have an alternative I hadn't originally considered of not mentioned because of a technicality in how I phrased my question.

This should be mentioned for the OP. KoAloha's DO not have a traditional sound. They are very bright. Just thought I should mention it.

I was the first one to mention KoAloha saying it would be my #1 choice for an off the shelf instrument and if it's an older model Kamaka, I would pick that instead. Regardless of what was suggested, the OP responded with the following
Thank you to everyone! Your comments are VERY helpful!

This should be mentioned for the OP. KoAloha's DO not have a traditional sound. They are very bright. Just thought I should mention it.
I'm curious, what would be the definition of "traditional sound'?

I meant no disrespect by mentioning KoAloha. I was actually just really curious as to why O.P. wasn't thinking of them also. Whatever he wants is okay with me. We can't help it if we are devoted fans of the other "K".:)

To my uneducated ear:
-The sounds maxes out when you play it hard.
-It's very bright ( like a Bruko )
- it seems a tad thin sounding when compared to a martin or kamaka (new and old).
I am not suggesting these are bad things. This is just my personal observation from playing all of them ... (right now)
I will also mention that I LOVE complex mellow tones.

When I say traditional I mean that the majority of the rest of the world (ukers and non ukers) would agree: Martin=traditional sound

I was the first one to mention KoAloha saying it would be my #1 choice for an off the shelf instrument and if it's an older model Kamaka, I would pick that instead. Regardless of what was suggested, the OP responded with the following

I'm curious, what would be the definition of "traditional sound'?

When I say traditional I mean that the majority of the rest of the world (ukers and non ukers) would agree: Martin=traditional sound

Because nothing quite defines the sound of a "traditional" Hawaiian ukulele quite like a mahogany instrument made in Nazareth, Pennsylvania...:p

(and I'd also hazard that even if the majority of the rest of the world did actually agree with you that they might in fact be incorrect in their assumption.)

(and I'd also hazard that even if the majority of the rest of the world did actually agree with you that they might in fact be incorrect in their assumption.)

Majority rule is in effect ;)

( that's why they are rather expensive )

Because nothing quite defines the sound of a "traditional" Hawaiian ukulele quite like a mahogany instrument made in Nazareth, Pennsylvania...:p

Hey I'm originally from Nazareth Pa! :mad:

LOL I'm not a martin uke fan though, def. the place to get a guitar though...

Once got talked into buying martin uke strings because I didn't know any better.. those things literally lasted on my uke for an hour.

Out of Koaloha, Kaniela and Kamaka; I'd have to go with Kamaka hands down. Not to say there aren't bad examples of any brand, but after having tried several of each of the three brands, Kamaka stands out above the other two. I'll stick to my Sonny D though, if you're throwing his ukes into the mix as well. But hey, that's just my biased opinion.

Wow.

Just reading through this thread completely exacerbated my desire to purchase more ukes. I am now convinced that I need to own one of each K so I too can discuss with authority the virtue of each make... most focus on children's college fund....

But I would add that in highest realm of ukuleles- there is a 5th 'K' : Kiwaya! Yeah, they're not Hawaiian, but they're great!

Top Bottom