Please Help!: Kamaka vs. Kanile'a?

... I am now convinced that I need to own one of each K so I too can discuss with authority the virtue of each make... most focus on children's college fund....

YUPZ, just revived this thread, but im in the same boat... i'm slowly convincing myself to order one 6-string Kanile'a Tenor... da bugga going cost like $1300 or so though, but the demo videos ive watched are MEAN!!!! buuuuut, it'll be a huge step up from my beautiful. Lanikai NK-C.... besides i already KNOW i'll own one (at least) Kamaka like my mom... but i'd like to pick up my Kamaka stright from the factory... or IN hawaii at least.

K den, if anyone like talk story on the subject further then get me!

Last edited:
now im considering just ordering a Kamaka HF-36... might as well right? BUT i like get one with a pickup... or have one put on, which leads to my next question... Kamaka vs Kanile'a - w/ pickups?

YUPZ, just revived this thread, but im in the same boat... i'm slowly convincing myself to order one 6-string Kanile'a Tenor... da bugga going cost like $1300 or so though, but the demo videos ive watched are MEAN!!!! buuuuut, it'll be a huge step up from my beautiful. Lanikai NK-C.... besides i already KNOW i'll own one (at least) Kamaka like my mom... but i'd like to pick up my Kamaka stright from the factory... or IN hawaii at least.

K den, if anyone like talk story on the subject further then get me!

Out of curiosity, do you mean a 6 string tenor, or the guitalele with the huge wide neck, strung like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret?

now im considering just ordering a Kamaka HF-36... might as well right? BUT i like get one with a pickup... or have one put on, which leads to my next question... Kamaka vs Kanile'a - w/ pickups?
Brah, both goin sound good jus one matta which one you like mo . . . visually, the Kanile'a win dat one if you get gloss finish. Das my opinion. As far as one pick up, you can get 'um installed fo l'il bit mo from either Kamaka or Kanile'a. Not shua if you can ask fo one paticulah UST like Mi-Si or LR Baggs Five-O.

I had this dilemma. Because I live in Australia and I would have to order from Hawaii, decided to go with a KoAloha rather than a Kamaka because of the Customer service issues.

Just reading through this thread completely exacerbated my desire to purchase more ukes. I am now convinced that I need to own one of each K so I too can discuss with authority the virtue of each make... most focus on children's college fund....

I feel exactly the same way. If I could only get the wife to see things my way...

You cannot go wrong with either, but I would strongly suggest that you look at Ko'olau also! Call the folks at HMS and ask about them. . . you will get a pleasant earful!

all the Ks

Just reading through this thread completely exacerbated my desire to purchase more ukes. I am now convinced that I need to own one of each K so I too can discuss with authority the virtue of each make... most focus on children's college fund....

But I would add that in highest realm of ukuleles- there is a 5th 'K' : Kiwaya! Yeah, they're not Hawaiian, but they're great!

new to this site, I also am having this dilemma.
very useful having Koaloha thrown into the mix and a big yes to Kiwaya, they are lovely.
thanks all of you

I settled on a Kanile'a Concert in their Satin Finish which is hand-rubbed and thinner than the standard UV (but please correct me if I'm wrong). The warm mellow tone stood out to me. I take this uke to jam parties and have never "max'ed out" the top. It is quite loud, but always mellow (and that can work against you I'll admit).

More recently, I purchased a KoAlana Concert uke from HMS (big thanks!). OK, it's not a KoAloha and it's not even Koa. What I'm getting at is this...

I'm curious, what would be the definition of "traditional sound'?

For me personally, that sound is Gabby Pahinui. I don't honestly know what make/model he played (always think 12-string guitar really), but I hear his sound when I play the KoAlana. It is my Go-To uke.

Of course, I could give a dozen more reason why the Kanile'a is a "better" uke, but...

Last edited:
I don't think KoAloha's max out that easy. My KoAloha concert is louder than my Kanile'a tenor. I went to Hawaii this summer and played a huge amount of ukes. The KoAloha's stand out with a bright but warm tone, almost electric. I still love the Kanile'a tone.

On a side note, I went to the KoAloha factory and it was a unbelievable experience.hose guys are the salt of the Earth.

Please help! I am new to playing the uke, but wanted to invest in a high end tenor that I can enjoy playing (and keep in my family). I have been leaning toward a Kamaka - but many people recently have recommended Kanile'a.

Does anyone out there know of the differences? I can't find any side-by-side comparisons - and there are no dealers close to where I live.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I own both...

The one you should get is a Kamaka HF-3L (LONG NECK Tenor) IT IS MY FAVORITE INSTURMENT...it has a 19 inch Fret which is 2 inches longer than a standard tenor but 1 inch shorter than a Baritone HF-4! THEY ARE VERY RARE...GRYPHON AND HMS have them from time to time...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! AND IT WILL BE A SPECIAL FAMILY INSTRUMENT FOREVER!!!

Out of curiosity, do you mean a 6 string tenor, or the guitalele with the huge wide neck, strung like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret?

Sorry for late response cuz... was deployed at the time, never see da post! But ya, was talking bout the 6 string tenor.

In response to the original thread question, to any that may still come across this thread, it ALL comes down to one thing:

Do you want CLASSIC or do you want "more" with modern acoustic, revolutionized teachnology???

What i mean is with ANY respectable acoustic instrument brand you're going to get good or better quality. Kamaka being "the best" is a matter of opinion based on what sound YOU like. Kamaka is still in business as the oldest surviving name-brand of 'ukulele and will forever have a name in the world of luthiers, but Kamaka ALSO is known for its classic, BRIGHT, rich sound. Kamaka's signature sound is simple and in Hawai'i, "mo simple mo betta" (like postcards of paradise with nothing but a beach, water, and a palm tree). Kamaka is pretty much TRADITIONAL uke for TRADITIONAL sound BUT watch brodda Jake Shimabakuro on youtube and you'll see some inspiring moves, and he plays Kamaka.

Kanile'a, on the other hand, seems to pride itself on its "technology" that's incorporated into its product like strenghtening rods and vibration carry-overs (see the official website for specifics on what i mean). The one I own is very warm, louder, and has a fuller spectrum HOWEVER will take a LONG time to become a household name like a Kamaka.

Kamaka, due to its fame, also isn't going to make getting back you a priority yet uncle (Mr.) Souza of Kanile'a will get back to you almost immediately. Get plenny aloha, dat guy : )

Along with new and innovating ideas on how to improve tonal quality amongst all crafters comes new ideas and trial-n-errors. I myself, have a few ideas for new uke designs that i'd like to also try, JUST to see what'll happen. CREATION via experimentation is beautiful, and so can be the sounds you make no matter which ukes you go with.

MAHALOZ fo reading! ::tear-tear:: na na na lol

I just want to say....to a certain extent....you cannot go my names and have to choose your ukes individually by their voice....unless you're a headstock shopper
I've got all the K brands and certain ones call out to me more way than others... and each for their different strong points....

Throwing another brand into the mix sure makes it interesting, if not complicated...but that's shopping for ya!

BArring my ability to afford a K brand, what do you all think would make a good choice for me...been playing a Kala for a year + that I absolutley adore, but am thinking of something a little nicer...

darn uas...

i, personally, have mixed opinions on Kala. (generally) Great starter ukes, but otherwise cheap to me (not as cheap as touristy ABC store ukes obviously) but HOWEVER (exception) there are some Kala ukes that sound GREAT that ive heard, esp the ones with the top being made of a lighter wood, really rings, even the thin travel one they have is great. Seems if youre gonna move up from a Kala then youre either gonna pay for some fancy abalone or rope purfling OR you re dishin out the money for a "K-brand" or a uke in the same class of quality.

So, only way to tell which one to get if you want to spend $1K(approx) or better and get your money's worth is to honestly go store to store and try em all out... play em and pay particular attention to how it feels and playability.. ALL up n down the board. Then i suggest asking the store associates if they know how to play... If youre lucky and someone there can play, hopefully they play better than you so you can hear the ukes you'd like to hear more of from a different perspective, as well as see some of its potential. happy hunting

So, only way to tell which one to get if you want to spend $1K(approx) or better and get your money's worth is to honestly go store to store and try em all out...

Ding! We have a winner.

I visited Hix Bros last week and played 4 -5 Kanilea Tenors they had in stock (koa), and no two sounded the same. Actually the variability in tone and volume was quite striking.

... and no two sounded the same. Actually the variability in tone and volume was quite striking.

It's amazing isn't it? Only way i see a company mass-manufacturing ukes with the SAME sound in every product is using the exact same material everytime, something copyable like plastic... and we KNOW how that would sound.... :wallbash:

Top Bottom