G-String Koa Tenor for 700?

kiduke310

Reaction score
I just visited a uke store yesterday, and the owner is giving me $100 off a $799 Koa Tenor G-String uke. I heard from two of my friends that this is an INSANE deal that will probably never ever happen again, so i should get on it FAST.

but, i'm only a novice at the most. i can play only about 20 ish songs if i can remember them all, and have only been playing for 3 or so months. Every day i play for about two hours, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't compensate..

and I don't want to be the owner of a BEAUTIFUL uke and not be able to play it beautifully. i would feel ashamed to own it, but not be able to shred on it.

but, I have heard that the rising price of Koa wood is gonna soon impact, and perhaps this $700 dollar uke will become much more valuable and I won't be able to get this kind of deal again.

Also, my friend told me that you can always get better, but you won't always have an opportunity like this again.

but then, i'm only a kid, strapped for cash as it is. i can buy this uke, but it'd mean losing most of what i've saved up, and not getting a christmas or birthday gift (no Santa gift either! ]:)

and another guy in the shop told me
"you can either buy several ukes before you know you're ready for this, and spend lots more, or spend alot now, and just play this."

and then my mom said (and she's right)
"you know you won't be satisfied with this one uke, you'll want more and more"

but all i want after this is a concert flea for traveling, then i'm set. cause there's one for everywhere (flea) one for special occasions and normal jamming (g-string) and my sentimental first uke that i'm getting signed by every musical influence i meet. good idea?

is this BEAUTIFUL uke worth the sacrifice? i just wanna get someone else's opinion before i either lose my savings, or walk away from perhaps the greatest deal of my life.

mahalo!

You know, my auntie bought a 6 string kamaka tenor for 200 dollars a long time ago, and that was expensive. If 700 hundred is a lot now, it is well worth it

If you are sure you want it, then buy it. That's all that matters. If you like the sound, how it looks, if you LOVE IT then buy it.

Unless you want to buy something non-uke

If you are sure you want it, then buy it. That's all that matters. If you like the sound, how it looks, if you LOVE IT then buy it.

Unless you want to buy something non-uke

i'm sorta starting to save up for a car, but thats something i can sorta wait for.

That's a pretty decent deal for a Hawaiian-made koa tenor. I've always thought that if you get a decent uke in the beginning, you'll have it as additional motivation to improve. Since you already play 2 hours a day :rock:, you may not need extra motivation:D. If you buy quality..., two years from now you may forget the price you paid, but the quality stays with you.

As long as you know that you're planning to improve then I'd say go for it. G-Strings are absolutely beautiful and play amazingly.

That's a pretty decent deal for a Hawaiian-made koa tenor. I've always thought that if you get a decent uke in the beginning, you'll have it as additional motivation to improve. Since you already play 2 hours a day :rock:, you may not need extra motivation:D. If you buy quality..., two years from now you may forget the price you paid, but the quality stays with you.

Thanks bro I'm thinking about it

you're asking US?

No, of course it's not worth it. There are other things more important for you, like paying Obama's taxes. Forget the deal, and PM me the phone number of the store, please.

I responded to your PM. G-string ukes have had mixed reviews but since you are able to play it, check it out thoroughly like the action, buzzing, craftsmanship, intonation, etc. For $700, it's a pretty good deal, of course for a bit more you could get a Kanilea which in my personal opinion might be a better deal, but it's more money. There is always better. I'd be happy to meet you there and help you decide, but ultimately, it's your money and your decision. Yes, you'll probably want more ukes, but this is a chance for you to play and choose one off the rack and Hilo Guitars has a great selection of very nice ukes. Also, Ken, the owner is the guy to see. Keep an eye on craigslist too while you are here. Aloha!

GString are gorgeous ukes, and you have an good opportunity.
Think again, maybe you'll keep this one for 15 years or more, these are instruments made to be kept for a lifetime.
In about a year you'll think the pleasure you take from it, not the price and the "sacrifices" you made in order to have it.

Maybe it worth not to have any Xmas gift this year don't you think ?

"you know you won't be satisfied with this one uke, you'll want more and more"
That's maybe not true, once I got my Kanile'a, I bought an EleUke 1 1/2 year after, just because I had to play with an amp. Otherwise my uke is perfect and I don't need any other one (and it may be the same for you).

I would say go for it, or keep saving money till Xmas and buy yourself a Kanile'a ^^(but that's personal preference ;)

CouS

If you are in doubt, think about it a bit more. It's quite a bit of money, and for 700 bucks you can go a long way with other brands as well. G-strings are very nice, but the ones I tried were a bit quiet. It's probably a good deal, but not a once-in-a-lifetime thing you will regret forever if you pass. On the other hand, if you can play it and you like it a lot, read: you get shivers when you hear the sound, then go for it and don't look back.

I used my last little bit of savings once to buy a G-string long-necked soprano. It is a great ukulele. I think their quality is on a par with Kanilea and Kamaka. Having a handmade work-of-art ukulele can help encourage you to become a better player and give you the instrument you need to develop good technique. Also since it is so beautiful and made with loving attention you will always feel the desire to pick it up and play with it, whereas a cheap Chinese ukulele might make not give you this feeling, and if your like me you might even wonder if it was produced in one of those poor slave labor factories.

The only problem with the fancy ukulele though is that you have to baby it so much, cause it costs so much damn money, and you definitely can't leave it in a hot car or extreme dry humidity for very long. That's why more and more I just play decently built cheap laminate ukuleles with solid top wood, cause I can drag them around with me everywhere, and not worry. But I still do love my G-string ukulele.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of g string ukes. They are pretty but that is about it in my experiences with them. I have played many of them and all looked good but the sound didn't justify the price tag. But that is my opinion. If YOU have played it and like it then the decision is ultimately yours. Who needs birthday or christmas gifts anyways? I haven't gotten one of those in three years because I always make a uke purchase just before that time frame.

well guys i bought it.

i think it was a very good decision.

threw on some pro artes and now dealing with the higher tension, but slowly getting accustomed to new uke size and new strings.

pics to come soon!

thank you all for the help :D

Congrats! Get used to it, play the h*ll out of it and come back with a nice review when you have made up your verdict.

Ah yes, and a few pics are always good :nana:

Congrats on this fine uke. My main uke is a Gstring tenor also. After dealing with some intonation issues and string height preferences and replacing the element pickup out with a Fishman, it is now a fine sounding, responsive uke. However, given the $$ spent on it (birthday present from my wife via internet), I would happily trade it out for a Kamaka tenor without hesitation. A side note would be that the Kamaka would have a greater re-sell value if you ever wanted to upgrade from that. That being said, IMHO Gstring's tone and workmanship is above par and you made a good (not great) deal on a fine instrument...e.lo...

Last edited:
Top Bottom