tenor cigar box ukulele?

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
so i bought a skateboard the other night from someone on craigslist. well, i got two decks. one was the one on the picture on the ad. the other deck was a home made longboard made out of a 3/4 inch thick slab of flat solid maple.

in my closet, i also have a cigarbox that housed the cuban cigars that i acquired overseas while i was in the Navy. i havent had the chance to take a look at the dimensions and thickness of the walls of the cigar box (H.Upmann cigars), but from what i remember it doesnt look like its that sturdy. i could be wrong though, since ive never attempted to flex it heheh.

anyway, i was wondering, would your ordinary run of the mill cigar box be able to withstand the string tension and neck weight of a tenor scale? or should i stick to a concert or soprano scale when making this?

i have a cigar box tenor and the tension is fine.. you might wanna watch the strings though.. if you get high tension strings it might not be good.. but if you get like daddario blacks it works great..

but really if you have questions about cb ukes.. id ask russ kemner.. hes a member here on uu and he builds custom cb ukes.. he is amazing and very informative !

haha, ya Dave!!! that site is awesome...community is great there.

do a neck through design for your first one if you havent had much experience. Its easy and works great...strings attach at both ends of the neck basically. No stress on the box

Top Bottom