CBU - ultimate travel uke?

6stringconvert

Reaction score
This has probably been done before, but I have an idea for a travel Cigar Box Ukulele.

The idea is for the bridge to be detachable, and for the neck to fold towards the box. You would slacken off (and possibly release) the strings, then open the lid (so it opens at the front) to find a couple of wing nuts bolting the bridge to the sound board. Detach the bridge and place inside the uke.

Then on the outside you would have a wing nut or slide bolt for the neck. when you release this - the whole neck would hinge and fold into the box itself. You then put down the lid - and you are pretty much left with a cigar box.

This would be great for travelling with - and would only take 5 mins to set up again, i'm sure.

This is where you now go "been done before 6sc"!!!!

Cheers,

6sc

Hi RonS,

I think I will :) - there's a seller on ebay that sells a CBU kit (all you need is the box.

I'd need an 'over sized box' - to ensure the neck fits in. It'll take me a little while to get the stuff together, but i'm well up for the challenge.

I'm an amateur bowyer, having made a few longbows. there is such a thing as a carriage bow - which is kinda the same principle.

Actually thinking about it - they work so that the hindge folds against the strings - maybe I need to do the same - and have the neck hinge into the back. Then again - there's no where near the same strain involved (although admittedly it's all proportionate/relative).

6sc

Just a thought.
Not sure how you would do it.

Store the neck inside the cigar box?

Bit of a problem - is that when folded over - the heel of the neck would stick up out of the box. I see two solutions: 1) bolt on neck instead, 2) the neck rotates on a pin in the centre point. I think the second solution is a bit iffy - so will probably have a go at the first. right that's it - now got to make it!

6sc

Draw it out/make quick cardboard mock-ups.

Bit of a problem - is that when folded over - the heel of the neck would stick up out of the box. I see two solutions: 1) bolt on neck instead, 2) the neck rotates on a pin in the centre point.

3. Attach the neck to the side of the box with a partial dovetail joint and secure it with a thumbscrew like Voyage-Air does. If you don't want the joint visible when the neck is in the box, cut a plug to drop into the joint. For storage, you could install a block on the opposite end of the box (inside) and cut the same joint, which would keep the neck from rattling around while stored.

Seems to me you'd probably want to leave the strings wound onto the tuning pegs and use a Martin-style tailpiece so you could knot the ends of the strings and slip them back in when it's time to play.

Food fer thought, anyway...

--Mark

Last edited:
problem... if you are going to have the neck go into the box. Where do you mount the strings?

Even if doesn't fold entirely into the box, having the neck collapse against the body would make for a nice compact package. The only thing sticking out would be the head and tuners.

If you go with the "neck through" design, and hinge the neck, you might be able to fasten the neck with screws to the bottom half of the box, leaving the lid free to open and close. Disassemble with a few turns of a screw and stuff the parts into the box and a convenient sock for the neck.

Dovetail sliding joint like is used on tables, with a locking pin?

FWIW - I just checked the heal on my Applause Soprano, it's 1-1/4" thick.

Thanks for mentioning that CBU-kit seller on ebay. One of those could be perfect for a biscuit-tin project I'm thinking about. I don't suppose you have any experience of the kits?

Sorry, no experience of the CBU kits, but for the price looks worth a punt. The bridge is ideal too, being a knot style. I think an extra piece will be needed to clamp down the strings on the neck so some tension keeps them wound.

I'll get some parts together and see what I can achieve. The coolest would be if the box had minimal signs that it was a uke.

This is prob going to end up sounding like a fish!

Thanks for all the excellent comments.

6sc

Got most of the bits I need now for this:

1 x CBU kit off ebay
1 x Brandy box (cheers for that ebay spot HH).

I'll get a photo on here illustrating the bits.

My immediate question is how far away do you mount the bridge from the neck?

I'm guessing it's from nut to saddle - but is it the edge or middle of each?

Many thanks,

6sc

Have you considered the fact that uke strings take about a week to settle down, each time they have to be brought up to correct playing tension?

Ukantor.

I hadn't considered that. it's a good point... There may be a way to over come this keep the neck stung - but Im not sure how.

This CBU will take a few minutes to set up - then tune. so it's not something you will be taking apart willy nilly. But in a rucksack or suitcase when travelling it could have it's appeal.

Mahalo 6sc

Top Bottom