CBU - ultimate travel uke?

My immediate question is how far away do you mount the bridge from the neck?

I'm guessing it's from nut to saddle - but is it the edge or middle of each?

Many thanks,

6sc

I wouldnt even "mount" it leave it free floating like banjos and mandos...well unless its a bridge/tailpiece all in one style. then it depends on scale length it was fretted for. Frets are placed based on a specified length from nut to bridge. If you know the length, you just measure it off and stick it. If you dont then free float it. Typically from soprano to baritone the scales are 13, 15, 17, 19 inch...i would use mm's though.

It's a combined nut and bridge. I did a google, and I think it might be the distance between the nut and the 12th fret x 2....

I've only had a quick look at the box - but I think the size is going to be just right. the lid isn't too thin, or too thick, and it's got an interesting design on the front. I may go with 2 small sound holes to show off more of the design.

6sc

Mount it like this?

mock.png

The actual bridge on this mock up I intended it to be floating, and you would take it off and put it in the box with the neck. At least that's what I planned... :D

It's a combined nut and bridge. I did a google, and I think it might be the distance between the nut and the 12th fret x 2....

I've only had a quick look at the box - but I think the size is going to be just right. the lid isn't too thin, or too thick, and it's got an interesting design on the front. I may go with 2 small sound holes to show off more of the design.

6sc

If you are making a concert with a 15" scale, the distance from the nut to the saddle is 15". The middle, or 7.5", is where the twelfth fret falls. Some luthiers will move the saddle down a tiny bit to compensate for the difference in tension when the string is fretted.

I really don't see the point of a "travel" uke, if the design means that the tension will be taken off the strings when it is folded/dismantled. Each time you set it up, you will be playing a uke that needs to be re-tuned constantly. It will take several days to settle down, by which time your holiday will be over, and it will be back in your luggage/backpack.

For me, all soprano ukes are travel ukes, but if a sop. is too big, a sopranino should do the trick.

Ukantor.

Ukantor,

Thanks for your message. I don't see any great problem with tuning the strings back up - and tweeking them; I guess that's the compromise. What appeals is the idea that the box itself is the case - so it's a really small package to take on a trip.

In terms of updates - I'll take some pics of the bits at the weekend. The neck is too long for the box - however if I trim off some of the fret board overhang, and say 2/3rds of an inch off the headstock it should fit nicely. So the basic concept is definately possible, and I have the bits to make it work.

I'm still figuring out how to put it together in a way that it is easily dismantleable!

Mahalo 6sc

"I'm still figuring out how to put it together in a way that it is easily dismantleable"

I'm still figuring out how to put one together without it falling apart immediately! :eek:

It is a very interesting design exercise. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Ukantor.

pics of various bits

Here are the bits I have gathered for the collapsing CBU:

1 x CBU kit off ebay
1 x Brandy Box (thanks for the spot Hoosiever!)

The CBU kit looks good. I have peeled off the nut as it was slightly askew, and I may re-glue the fingerboard. the frets are very rough at the edges so will need a sanding. The bridge/saddle looks ideal for my needs:

100_2432.jpg

Here is the Brandy Box I picked up. There may be a little repair work needed on the bottom as the ply is de-laminating a touch. I may also replace the hinges to get the lid a tighter fit but I don't want to mess about too much. finger tapping the lid - there is a reasonable response - so it should resonate ok. I was worried about the size of the chamber being too bit - so may go for a small sound hole:

100_2434.jpg

Here I've layed the neck on the BB giving a rough idea of how it could look. I may there is a good clear area for a sound hole. Alternatively I may flip the neck round and put two small holes either side of the heraldry above the 'Carlos I' text.

100_2440.jpg

As you can see, although nice an long, there isn't quite enough room for the neck (although plenty deep enough. I think what I will do is take a little of the end of the finger board, and a little off the head stock. That way it will fit in nicely.

100_2438.jpg

I will reinforce the bridge area so 2 small bolts will allow the attach and removal of the bridge.

I will also reinforce the neck end area - to allow the neck to be removed/attached - and also stored in the box.

Won't be able to work on this for a little while yet...

6sc

Last edited:
Top Bottom