Famous Musicians You Have Met

I played studio for a bunch of years and met a lot of musicians. I also grew up in a music family. Some of my own family members were actually famous and well-known in the business (Stephen Foster is the best known of my own relations). My mother was a country music songwriter, so, before I was even high school age, I played guitar with a bunch of famous country music folks.

In the ukulele world... Jake, Victoria Vox, Craig Robertson (jammed with Craig a few times), some others...

I met lots of celebrities when I taught fly fishing for a living for about ten years. We did some TV shows and press events and I was heavily involved with that ...then, there was the trade show circuit that I did over the winters for years, too.

I also know several actors and movie makers from the fly fishing days and music work in times past.

The biggest celb I've met was Junior Samples from Hee Haw. When I was a teenager my girlfriends mother worked at a 5 star hotel. I ate lunch in the same room with him, he had on bib overalls and that act he had on Hee Haw was no act.

A couple of years ago my son's band supported Glen Matlock, original Bass player with the Sex Pistols. That was a very special night for me. Just watching him play the Pistols songs acoustically was special enough but we got to meet him afterwards and spoke to him for quite a while. We had been warned not to talk about the Pistols unless he brought it up first so I talked about Basses and things and asked him about his time in Rich Kids but the subject soon got around to the Pistols and he was a really interesting guy.
Glen Matlock wrote most of the Pistols material and we are talking about songs which changed the world. He doesn't get enough credit for his part in the whole punk scene. I guess to any young people and especially to you guys in America this all doesn't mean very much, you had to be there to understand how important all this stuff was. If it wasn't for Glen Matlock, The Sex Pistols and Punk Rock, the world today would be a very different and much less interesting place.
Cheers,
Ian.

I met lots of celebrities when I taught fly fishing for a living for about ten years.
I also know several actors and movie makers from the fly fishing days and music work in times past.

Very cool another fellow fly fisherman. You ever fish saltwater for Bonefish?
We have some pretty decent flats within minutes of Waikiki loaded with large Bones. :cool:

I haven't met any famous musicians, no fair! My hubby met SRV right before he died and was almost fired from his job because of Meatloaf. Good stories, I'll make him tell ya. I've met lots of Sci fi authors and actors. We go to a sci fi convention every year :p. I acted with George Takei. If you count charity dinner theater and one line in the same room as him as "acted with" :D...which I DO.

Too long of a list.

I've been fortunate enough to have worked with some great people.

One of my best friends is a Roadie/Guitar tech, so he has gotten me all kinds of backstage access over the years..I hung out on the tour bus with 3 Doors Down and Nickelback, and met the dudes in Evannessance (Amy was not there :( ) Some guys from .38 Special (not sure of there names)
Aside from those...Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees, Jake, The Dead Milkmen, I think that is about it...Oh, but I'm gonna get to meet a bunch of my favorites in Indiana in a few weeks:)

Since I live in Hawaii... Here's some of my famous musicians that I met:

Manoa DNA
Kaukahi
Raiatea Helm
Makana
Bryan Tolentino
Na Leo Pilimehana
Taimane Gardner
Jody Kamisato- My 'ukulele teacher (Island Style Ukulele)
Herb Ohta, Jr.- My 'ukulele teacher also
Weldon Kekauoha
Stephen Inglis
Jake Shimaburukuro
Hoku Zuttermeister
Keali'i Reichel
Pomaika'i Keawe
Pilioha
Maunalua

Just Jake??? I live here and never got to meet the wizard.
dude we met him at DHC

ooh... I've done a meet n greet w/ Incubus!

Got to drum a show for Fiji, that was AWESOME!!! Met plenty of my island heroes!!!

:D

INCUBUS??!?!?!?
LUCKY!!!!

in the past 4 months alone, ive met Jake, Roy Sakuma, Herb Ohta Jr, Daniel Ho, Raiatea Helm, Gordon Mark. i also saw James Hill at last years 'ukulele festival, but i didnt talk to him.

I met Smash Mouth when they came last year...
And I met Roy Sakuma

Aldrine Guererro
Ryan Esaki
Dominator
James Hill
Victoria Vox
Pat Enos
Bill Tapia
Herb Ohta Jr.
Joel Eckhaus
Travis Harrelson
Derick Sebastion
Lyle Ritz
the late John King
Jim Tranquada
Fred Fallin
Jim & Liz Beloff
Brittni Paiva
Joe Souza
Sid Hausman
I've got tickets to see Brian Tolentino and Asa Young next Wednesday

I work less than a mile from http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org and it affords us many opportunities to see world class musicians in an intimate setting. We're family members and get discounts on all events, some being free.

From the mid 70's until the early 80's, my wife and I were partners with another in a music store (I was an active duty Marine during that period) in Twentynine Palms, California. Our first (small, about the size of a one car garage) was named "The Axe Hole". Shortly after, the town fathers (tight knit group of elders that basically ran the town) offered us another building about three times the size for the same lease payment, with the stipulation that we do it and change the name, or be zoned out of our old location. That was a no-brainer, so we dubbed the new location "Mojave Music" Several years later, we purchased an old 6000 square foot closed down pet store on the Twentynine Palms Highway and gave it the name of "Sound Town". We had a 16 track (Otari tape) recording studio that was mainly used by local radio stations for making commercials and a few local musicians. We also rented sound reinforcement gear and lighting to some large production companies, such as Showco. When I got orders for Desert Calm (later Desert Shield and then Desert Storm), I had a good hunch from past combat experience that it would be a long campaign. My wife and I sold our partnership to our partner Mike and she and the girls stayed in the Philippines while I was deployed. Mike's substance abuse increased while I was gone and the store was boarded up when I returned from combat three years later and had already been sold to a flooring company. My intention was to buy back in and help run the store as my retirement gig. During the period we co-owned that music store (of many names and locations), we met literally hundreds of famous bands and musicians of all genres that would be way too many to list. Those are some wonderful and cherished memories, especially the in store jam sessions. Ric

Ive met all of the guys from the king blues, but they're not really 'famous', and it was before they were well-known

Ive met all of the guys from the king blues, but they're not really 'famous', and it was before they were well-known
My son's band has supported The King Blues a couple of times and he sort of knows them, but like yourself that was before they were well known. Their rise has been quite rapid actually, they'll become one of those bands known as an overnight sensation even though they've been at it for years, lol. Radio 1 seems to be playing them all the time at the moment. Good to see they haven't forgotten their roots though and are still playing Rebellion Punk Festival in Blackpool in August. I saw them in Manchester when they toured with Anti Flag, great gig.
Ian.

All bands, but here they are:

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Taking Back Sunday
Armor For Sleep
Hellogoodbye
I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business
Silverstein
Secondhand Serenade
Madina Lake
Noah and the Whale
Motion City Soundtrack
Days Away
The Juliana Theory
The Hush Sound
Guster
The Format
Daphne Loves Derby
Cute Is What We Aim For
The Commercials
Chiodos
Owen
Bright Eyes
Atreyu
Steriogram
All The Rage
Arctic Monkeys
The Almost

And these are just the ones I got signatures from, I've met more, but can't remember lol.

Top Bottom