Be Different. Don’t Surf ...

the.ronin

Reaction score
Several months ago before I even set my hands on a ukulele much less even thought about ever owning one, I came up with this sarcastic design for a shirt ...

396933741v6350x350backc.jpg

... granted that the ukulele is but a close cousin to the banjo, it still makes me chuckle seeing what a big fan of the instrument I have become since first designing this shirt haha.

A ukulele design might work in CA, but in Hawaii, some of the best ukulele players are surfers and vice-versa.

Anyway, nice design (except for the banjo, of course) lol

Time for the banjo jokes:

What do you call a banjo player with half a brain? Talented.

How do you improve the sound of a banjo? Burn it.

How do you slow the banjo player down? Give him some sheet music.

Any more?

(No hard feelings, I hope. I love banjo players, of course, since I know no one who plays the banjo.)

So true, Rod. Several of my buddies I surf with are from Oahu and these guys can play the uke very very well.

The banjo takes more of a mid-west connotation here in California – which is the audience the shirt is catered to.

What's the difference between a banjo and a trampoline?

You take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline.

So true, Rod. Several of my buddies I surf with are from Oahu and these guys can play the uke very very well.

The banjo takes more of a mid-west connotation here in California – which is the audience the shirt is catered to.
I love that design. If you make one with a uke, I will wear it proudly. Grew up on the sand, body surfed but never touched a board. Hey ronin, where are you in so cal?

I love that design. If you make one with a uke, I will wear it proudly. Grew up on the sand, body surfed but never touched a board. Hey ronin, where are you in so cal?

Thanks! Well I don’t want this to turn into a commercial thread (hence no links). Although I did think about changing the banjo to ukulele but the design changes were very involved – those stick figure guys are harder to make than they look haha.

I’m in Orange County.

perfect idea! hopefully people will actually take action to what the shirt says and play.

then they can also play the ukulele, that ways more people can be exposed to it!.....not to mention it would be awesome to have less people out in the lineup lol

...not to mention it would be awesome to have less people out in the lineup lol

That was the original intention. :D

Although judging from these responses, it would appear there is a prejudice against banjos I wasn’t originally aware about haha.

if i cou7ld play a banjo i would. DUELING BANJOS BABY!

haha, theres also a hat i saw that said "Don't surf, it's too hard..." i cant remember hwat else it said, but it was great.

Thanks! Well I don’t want this to turn into a commercial thread (hence no links). Although I did think about changing the banjo to ukulele but the design changes were very involved – those stick figure guys are harder to make than they look haha.

I’m in Orange County.
Orange County's a large county. I'm in HB. Ever get down to Island Bazaar?

Orange County's a large county. I'm in HB. Ever get down to Island Bazaar?

Haha very true! I’m in Costa Mesa.

Yes!! I was just there for my first time over the weekend. Cool store. The dude working there was pretty cool too and let me strum his crazy good sounding uke.

Haha very true! I’m in Costa Mesa.

Yes!! I was just there for my first time over the weekend. Cool store. The dude working there was pretty cool too and let me strum his crazy good sounding uke.
That's Dan, he works for Shirley, she's the owner. You should join us some Thursday night for a jam. They're fun.

Thursdays might be tough because I commute from far away. But I’ll keep an eye out. You guys should have a thing at Seal Beach!! Maybe right after or even as part of the church service they have there on Sunday.

Top Bottom