Recommend me a banjolele!

OzUke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a banjolele and am seeking a bit of advice. Living in Australia makes my selection rather limited- and though I could order one from overseas, I'd rather not have an instrument bumped around too much during shipping. I've managed to locate three available brands- Goldtone, Martinez, and Oakridge. Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with these brands? Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use to have a Goldtone BG-250F banjo, loved it. I also took a Goldtone Plunky, and turned it into a banjolele.

Check out Dave's work over at www.wsukes.com

He's based in the US, but he did the most amazing packaging job that I've ever seen on a uke. He leterally builds a wooden box for it that is screwed shut and super secure. He makes the most inexpensive and professionally put together banjoleles (among other ukes) around and is highly recommended. I got a concert banjolele from him and its really fun.

I haven't been playing it much as I'm at uni and its pretty loud (my neighbors don't like it haha), so I'm looking into selling it at some point, but his ukes are really amazing especially for the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_-KOgZetQ

I second that recommendation: my Waverly Street banjolele is one of the best purchases I've made. It plays like a dream and has no buzzes or flaws of any kind. The volume on it is awesome, but I can play soft if I want. Also, the open back allows for a great frailing banjo sound if that's what you're after.

I still have the wooden box he sent it to me in because it's such a cool lil' box. I think I'm going to put hinges on it and foam inside, turn it into a case or something.

Seriously dude, you could pay $450 for a factory line or less than half that for a handmade, expertly crafted work of art. Waverly Street all the way. :cool:

Here's a video of me jamming on mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVs3MmrPSk&feature=channel_page

Thanks to your glowing recommendations, I have ordered a Waverly Street Banjolele! I was impressed by both your videos, and I really enjoyed your original songs, EricStetson (especially 'I'm Pretty Sure I Like You'. I've been wandering around for days humming "If you were a bird, you'd be a mallard duck"...).

I'll be sure to post a review once it arrives! Thanks for the input, guys!

I see you already ordered from Waverly Street...I was going to recommend the same to you as Dave builds some awfully nice instruments...His are all hand made which makes them extra special and on top of that, he's a real nice individual...You'll be happy with it, I am sure...:D

Thanks OzUke! That song has a special place in my heart - the girl I wrote that for has been my girlfriend for the last 6 months after she heard that. Mostly the words in it are about stuff she likes, combined with a challenge ("I bet you couldn't write a song about......Chesterfield coats.")

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing your video with the new banjolele, and I'm flattered by your kind words.

-Eric

It's here!

My new Banjolele arrived today! It's beautiful. I've just restrung it with Aquilas, so the pitch is sliding around like crazy at present. When it's settled in (and I can find a camera) I'll post a video. Thanks so much for your help, guys!

Had a Goldtone hated it. Purchased a Waverly street, love it. Only complaint, the fret ends on the Waverly were a little rough. Filed them down further myself and problem solved. It is a great Banjolele.Don't waste your money on the Goldtone China made crap when you can get a hand crafted custom that plays,feels,sounds,and looks great for less money.Hope that helped.

recommendation

Hi,

I'm a part-time Banjolele maker from Holland. It's not my business but I like to help other enthousiasts with my little instruments
Visit my site for more information, mayby I could help.
www.banjolele.nl

Kind regards,

Wim van der Leden
The Netherlands

Top Bottom