Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amplification Basics for Uke: Pickups, Mics, Preamps, Amps, Feedback

Hi.......you mentioned a "Stick on Bug", and I'd like to buy one to see how much fun I could have with it.
    Could you tell me where I could buy one?...

And, I just a few minutes ago, purchased the ROLAND MICROCUBE amp. I wonder, if I could also use this amp to
    amplify my Apple iMac computer?

Thanks
    notalent31....

Hi again. I'm still hoping someone will have some info with my setup?
    I have the cordoba 20TM-CE tenor and it has a pickup and a 2 band eq. Wired into my system sounds really good but I wanted to try the Nady DKW-1 Wireless GT system. But I'm having a problem with overtones and a little bit of crackling. I've tried lowering my volume of the uke,my mixer and the transmitter, but I can't seem to get a clean sound. I know the Nady is an entry level system, but I've had a good experience with their lav system.

Would anyone know why it's not working? Would anyone know what I can try to make it work?
    Thanks.

I've seen a Kala tenor that comes with a pick up already installed. (•Lightwt Active Shadow NANO-FLEX EQ System )
    IF someone using it would want to amplify it can you give me an idea of what to look for? I expect it'll only be played accoustic without the pickup.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by faithmusic View Post
    Hi again. I'm still hoping someone will have some info with my setup?
    I have the cordoba 20TM-CE tenor and it has a pickup and a 2 band eq. Wired into my system sounds really good but I wanted to try the Nady DKW-1 Wireless GT system. But I'm having a problem with overtones and a little bit of crackling. I've tried lowering my volume of the uke,my mixer and the transmitter, but I can't seem to get a clean sound. I know the Nady is an entry level system, but I've had a good experience with their lav system.

Would anyone know why it's not working? Would anyone know what I can try to make it work?
    Thanks.
    This may very well sound a bit trite and trivial to some . And argumentitve to others . But in my pat experience in acoutic instruments I don't neccessarily mean a dead battery . I literally man NOT using cheap batteries . Then again , even a more pricey battery might not be the perfect fix .

What I have seen more time than not with sound ouput quality boils down to this . First , foremost and ALWAYS use qaulity and never a low battery . But although a quality full chare battery is your first place to look , all to often a particualr brand of battery might be the correct fit . Different batteries have a different discharge rate . Ever so minute a it might be , it's simple fact . I would always suggest a medical grade battery for audio quality . There is a reason those batteries are called medical grade and are more expnsive . They put out a more consistant and even discharge rate for longer periods of time .

More times than not , I've had people laugh at me for saying that . But also more times than not , when I stuck a quality medical grade battery in an onboard acoustical eq , the problem was solved . I've seen guys go to great expense chasing phantom problems , then slap in a medical grade battery and game over . But alos remember . You might well get different reults even with two different medical grade batteries of diddferent manufacturers .

It's the cheap fix if it works . Never mind a qaulity battery is just that . Quality . As the old saying goes , " GARBAGE IN , GARBAGE OUT " .

Best of luck . Those situation can be plaguing .

RAGZDADDY

P.S. And yes , qaulity battery in your Nady transmitter as well . But I am sure that posting my experience and opinion of Nady isn't fit for posting . Get a Shure and be DONE ! And get RID of those cheap banana plugs .
    QUALITY IN , ALWAYS QUALITY OUT !

Oh yea ! Not to inult your intelligence by any means . But have you matched the gain on your Nady reciever with your on boar eq ?

Think of it this way . . . . . Starting at the amp , whether it is a PA or a seperate amp , ALWAYS have your power unit volume set higher than anything else in line Then make ure you taper your gain ( volume controls ) from the amp .

Simply put ..... You want the wider gate closest to the power amp no matter what the amp is . Lets say you have your gain at the amp set at 70% . You would want your gain on the Nady reciever set no higher than say 60-65% . The of course you'd never want your gain at the instrument to exceed 50-55% . In the revers , you would be overdriving things and without quetion you'd be breeding all sorts of signal choking getting coutles audio problems .

Your amp should not be controlling threshold . Your instrument should be . Taper UP towars the amp . Unfortunately and in most case , the sound man is trying to control house volume threshold due to most musicians uncontrolable need to want to be louder . The result is ALWAYS just as what it sounds you are describing . But no matter the size of the system , the same principal applies .

In years past , I've run sound for some rather large venues and I've had my fair share of heated moments with guy cranking for more threshold . Yur best audio qualty output is typically to run your amp at 70% , tapering back to the instrument or mic and not exceeding a threshold of more than 5% below whatever is inline back towards the amp .

Again , battery quality being first thought in line . You can comfortably run ANY amp at 70% and run your instrument at as low as 5% and get great quality sound .

YOU CANNOT RUN YOUR INSTRUMENT , TRANSMITTER OR RECIEVER AT A HIGHER GAIN THRESHOLD THAN YOUR AMP AND GET QAULITY .

Just my input to help from what little I can see and or hear of your setup from here . lol

That Nady transmitter most likely has a tiny little gain control under the battery somewhere . That just slap those things together and doubtlessly try to adjust to proper gain . Use exremely tiny little adjustments . A little goes a long way . But I've seen to many of those Nadys gain controllers not work at all fresh out of the box .

SHURE BRO's is a SURE answer most times .
    Last edited by UKEON TERRITORY; 12-18-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Probably one of the best articles on this subject I have seen. What it missed, is the relative merits of a good microphone versus any of the pickups mentioned. I really like the "space" using a microphone creates and often forego plugging in if it is a truly acoustic gig...sound guys hate me, but they aren't the performer.
    BroadwayMusic.ca | The Biggest Selection of Ukuleles in Canada - Check out our Online Ukulele Store

Agree with you - been using pickups, but recently acquired a Rode condenser microphone and the sound is bliss!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Could I get your review/take on a Roland AC-33 30 watt battery powered acoustic amp. I am considering purchasing one to take with me for little gigs. Also, I am considering purchasing a Boss VE-2 to go along with it. What do you think?

Hi
    I have just been reading your advice on external mics. If I have 8-12 players on stage all acoustic what mics would you spread among them to pick up the ukes and voices? ie Something to pick up general sound as opposed to a on specific voice or uke

Hi there,

I noticed you mentioned PA systems, would you also include advice on mixing desks? I am having trouble getting my Baritone to be picked up through the mixing desk and into the pub - speakers/PA

Thread Information