Amplification Basics for Uke: Pickups, Mics, Preamps, Amps, Feedback

Hi.......you mentioned a "Stick on Bug", and I'd like to buy one to see how much fun I could have with it.
Could you tell me where I could buy one?...

And, I just a few minutes ago, purchased the ROLAND MICROCUBE amp. I wonder, if I could also use this amp to
amplify my Apple iMac computer?

Thanks
notalent31....

Hi again. I'm still hoping someone will have some info with my setup?
I have the cordoba 20TM-CE tenor and it has a pickup and a 2 band eq. Wired into my system sounds really good but I wanted to try the Nady DKW-1 Wireless GT system. But I'm having a problem with overtones and a little bit of crackling. I've tried lowering my volume of the uke,my mixer and the transmitter, but I can't seem to get a clean sound. I know the Nady is an entry level system, but I've had a good experience with their lav system.

Would anyone know why it's not working? Would anyone know what I can try to make it work?
Thanks.

I've seen a Kala tenor that comes with a pick up already installed. (•Lightwt Active Shadow NANO-FLEX EQ System )
IF someone using it would want to amplify it can you give me an idea of what to look for? I expect it'll only be played accoustic without the pickup.
Thanks.

Hi again. I'm still hoping someone will have some info with my setup?
I have the cordoba 20TM-CE tenor and it has a pickup and a 2 band eq. Wired into my system sounds really good but I wanted to try the Nady DKW-1 Wireless GT system. But I'm having a problem with overtones and a little bit of crackling. I've tried lowering my volume of the uke,my mixer and the transmitter, but I can't seem to get a clean sound. I know the Nady is an entry level system, but I've had a good experience with their lav system.

Would anyone know why it's not working? Would anyone know what I can try to make it work?
Thanks.

This may very well sound a bit trite and trivial to some . And argumentitve to others . But in my pat experience in acoutic instruments I don't neccessarily mean a dead battery . I literally man NOT using cheap batteries . Then again , even a more pricey battery might not be the perfect fix .

What I have seen more time than not with sound ouput quality boils down to this . First , foremost and ALWAYS use qaulity and never a low battery . But although a quality full chare battery is your first place to look , all to often a particualr brand of battery might be the correct fit . Different batteries have a different discharge rate . Ever so minute a it might be , it's simple fact . I would always suggest a medical grade battery for audio quality . There is a reason those batteries are called medical grade and are more expnsive . They put out a more consistant and even discharge rate for longer periods of time .

More times than not , I've had people laugh at me for saying that . But also more times than not , when I stuck a quality medical grade battery in an onboard acoustical eq , the problem was solved . I've seen guys go to great expense chasing phantom problems , then slap in a medical grade battery and game over . But alos remember . You might well get different reults even with two different medical grade batteries of diddferent manufacturers .

It's the cheap fix if it works . Never mind a qaulity battery is just that . Quality . As the old saying goes , " GARBAGE IN , GARBAGE OUT " .

Best of luck . Those situation can be plaguing .

RAGZDADDY

P.S. And yes , qaulity battery in your Nady transmitter as well . But I am sure that posting my experience and opinion of Nady isn't fit for posting . Get a Shure and be DONE ! And get RID of those cheap banana plugs .
QUALITY IN , ALWAYS QUALITY OUT !

Oh yea ! Not to inult your intelligence by any means . But have you matched the gain on your Nady reciever with your on boar eq ?

Think of it this way . . . . . Starting at the amp , whether it is a PA or a seperate amp , ALWAYS have your power unit volume set higher than anything else in line Then make ure you taper your gain ( volume controls ) from the amp .

Simply put ..... You want the wider gate closest to the power amp no matter what the amp is . Lets say you have your gain at the amp set at 70% . You would want your gain on the Nady reciever set no higher than say 60-65% . The of course you'd never want your gain at the instrument to exceed 50-55% . In the revers , you would be overdriving things and without quetion you'd be breeding all sorts of signal choking getting coutles audio problems .

Your amp should not be controlling threshold . Your instrument should be . Taper UP towars the amp . Unfortunately and in most case , the sound man is trying to control house volume threshold due to most musicians uncontrolable need to want to be louder . The result is ALWAYS just as what it sounds you are describing . But no matter the size of the system , the same principal applies .

In years past , I've run sound for some rather large venues and I've had my fair share of heated moments with guy cranking for more threshold . Yur best audio qualty output is typically to run your amp at 70% , tapering back to the instrument or mic and not exceeding a threshold of more than 5% below whatever is inline back towards the amp .

Again , battery quality being first thought in line . You can comfortably run ANY amp at 70% and run your instrument at as low as 5% and get great quality sound .

YOU CANNOT RUN YOUR INSTRUMENT , TRANSMITTER OR RECIEVER AT A HIGHER GAIN THRESHOLD THAN YOUR AMP AND GET QAULITY .

Just my input to help from what little I can see and or hear of your setup from here . lol

That Nady transmitter most likely has a tiny little gain control under the battery somewhere . That just slap those things together and doubtlessly try to adjust to proper gain . Use exremely tiny little adjustments . A little goes a long way . But I've seen to many of those Nadys gain controllers not work at all fresh out of the box .

SHURE BRO's is a SURE answer most times .

Last edited:
Probably one of the best articles on this subject I have seen. What it missed, is the relative merits of a good microphone versus any of the pickups mentioned. I really like the "space" using a microphone creates and often forego plugging in if it is a truly acoustic gig...sound guys hate me, but they aren't the performer.

Agree with you - been using pickups, but recently acquired a Rode condenser microphone and the sound is bliss!

Could I get your review/take on a Roland AC-33 30 watt battery powered acoustic amp. I am considering purchasing one to take with me for little gigs. Also, I am considering purchasing a Boss VE-2 to go along with it. What do you think?

Hi
I have just been reading your advice on external mics. If I have 8-12 players on stage all acoustic what mics would you spread among them to pick up the ukes and voices? ie Something to pick up general sound as opposed to a on specific voice or uke

Hi there,

I noticed you mentioned PA systems, would you also include advice on mixing desks? I am having trouble getting my Baritone to be picked up through the mixing desk and into the pub - speakers/PA

Morning guys, Hey and Merry Christmas to you all from us in the UK !!

I have an Epiphone Tenor Ukulele with built in pick up - When I attach it to my Pignose amp it sounds tinny and pretty awful. I am totally new to the subject of amplification and I have read the pages prior to this but a lot of it doesn't make much sense to me so please forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

But what can I do to improve the quality of the signal from the Epiphone? Can I pass it through something to adjust the treble and bass sounds before I put it into the Pignose?

Thank you in advance !!

Yes you can buy a pre amp which you plug your uke into then the preamp is plugged into the amplifier. They have dials that let you adjust the treble, mid and bass tones and other parameters.

There are many different makes and models with many different features. Prices vary accordingly but for $30 you can buy a Behringer V-Tone Acoustic ADI 21. These are highly regarded and praised by the acoustic guitar community, even by guys that own $400 pre amps, I am one of those.

20191210_130812.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that Dave, I've ordered one off Amazon - it'll be here later today. I'll let you know what it then sounds like :)

Top Bottom