fishing line ukulele string recipe

All the kool kids are now using weedwhacker line for their upright bass strings: Maybe there are gauges that will still have enough tension on a U-Bass? So many COLORS to choose from....:)

I tried a set, no good. They are so stiff, I couldn't tune them, too much tension. I don't know what gauge they were.

I think that it is interesting how there are Worth Browns are like night and day compared to others, Aquila Reds are the best when they don't break, nothing but Martin fluorocarbons on all my ukes, Nylgut just doesn't have a nice feel to them, and then there is fishing line. I wonder how many ukuleles have been transformed into great sounding ukes by switching to fishing line? No doubt a few. :rolleyes:

I have mentioned this before, but I will repeat it... Kureha makes Seaguar line and Savarez fluorocarbon strings. I primarily use Oasis strings, but I will use Seaguar Premier for C and/or A strings in certain situations where I need a slight difference in string tension (diameter) to transform one of those strings into one that is much better sounding. If you ever have a Martin C string that just doesn't quite get the sound you want, it is an option. I only use Premier because it is approved for competition and made to closer tolerances so I don't have intonation issues.

John

I have mentioned this before, but I will repeat it... Kureha makes Seaguar line and Savarez fluorocarbon strings. I primarily use Oasis strings, but I will use Seaguar Premier for C and/or A strings in certain situations where I need a slight difference in string tension (diameter) to transform one of those strings into one that is much better sounding. If you ever have a Martin C string that just doesn't quite get the sound you want, it is an option. I only use Premier because it is approved for competition and made to closer tolerances so I don't have intonation issues.

John

I have switched a Marin 600 C .034 with a Fremont Black (low G tenor) .036. The difference was quite pleasing to my ears. I had to ease the clearance a wee bit, using a 4th string in the 3rd string position.

So I wonder if some of these companies that are selling strings, are actually selling fishing line. Do they manufacture their strings in a special ukulele string factory, or do they get their strings from Berkley? Or do they get their strings from the same place as Berkley? If people are substituting fishing line for strings, maybe that is the case. Maybe the rest of us are buying fishing line and don't know it is fishing line.

""" Maybe the rest of us are buying fishing line and don't know it is fishing line."""
Sounds fishy to me. gigglegiggle.
PS:I hope you have read all 9 pages Rllink. Makes for a good education. I keep buying strings at the local music store. Used fish smelling .021 once when I had to.

Spent $129.88 for 6 spools to be used with soprano/concert GCEA, gCEA, and tenor GCEA.

24 inch lengths

$1.94 per set Soprano/Concert Set GCEA
$2.26 per set Soprano/Concert Set low gCEA
$3.03 per setTenor Set GCEA

We have a group of five ukulele players, each person gets 6 sets of strings That's great because we each have two or more ukuleles. And one of the retirement homes we play at a few times each pays $50. We are now sustaining our string habit!

More details are here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LrS98C_hD1MbQMVhEJMimRjoKvxlV1fZGJ7hlmLF1jA/edit?usp=sharing

I have switched a Marin 600 C .034 with a Fremont Black (low G tenor) .036. The difference was quite pleasing to my ears. I had to ease the clearance a wee bit, using a 4th string in the 3rd string position.

I've done this myself, but ONLY for soprano since when I tried it one a concert the tension was dangerously high with almost no sustain and I thought the string would break (of the 2 dozen string makers I've tried only Fremont Blacklines were the ones that broke on me, and that was when less than a week old)

So I wonder if some of these companies that are selling strings, are actually selling fishing line. Do they manufacture their strings in a special ukulele string factory, or do they get their strings from Berkley? Or do they get their strings from the same place as Berkley? If people are substituting fishing line for strings, maybe that is the case. Maybe the rest of us are buying fishing line and don't know it is fishing line.

If you replace Seaguars Blue Label for Berkeley, from what I've read here on UU and in several other places online, I am thinking there is a string possibility that PhD., Living Water, Oasis and Worth strings all come from the same places, since for the tenor sets, they are ALL within 0.001" of each other in diameter, if not the exact SAME diameter...

so given the above and all things being equal the answer to your questions might be 'YES' for all of them...

Spent $129.88 for 6 spools to be used with soprano/concert GCEA, gCEA, and tenor GCEA.

24 inch lengths

$1.94 per set Soprano/Concert Set GCEA
$2.26 per set Soprano/Concert Set low gCEA
$3.03 per setTenor Set GCEA

We have a group of five ukulele players, each person gets 6 sets of strings That's great because we each have two or more ukuleles. And one of the retirement homes we play at a few times each pays $50. We are now sustaining our string habit!

More details are here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LrS98C_hD1MbQMVhEJMimRjoKvxlV1fZGJ7hlmLF1jA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for this. I had priced out a similar set of Seaguars FC leader, but added 20# and 100#, and IIRC it came out to ~$150 or so, but I have not bought it yet...

So for those of you who are buying 130.00+ on the fishing line branded fluorocarbon strings, you use the same strings on all your ukes?

I have not found all ukes happy with the exact same strings but I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in the way of sound.

I use a lot of low G and wish I could find 500 yards of Fremont Soloist Low G Polished string. Anyone have a connection for those? ;)

That is the one string I use on every low G uke, Tried a ton of others including the expensive Thomastik Enfields'...the Soloist still reins #1 for my ears and fingers. Now if I could find a polished C string that works on everything.......no fishing line unfortunately for that.

The hunt continues!

Prices have come down. Here's what I paid for an order through Amazon, included free two day deliver with Prime.

Seaguar Blue Label 25-Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
30#, $12.99
40#, $19.96
50#, $18.00
60#, $21.96
80#, $29.99

And found a 90# 15-meters (16 yards) package for $26.99 from another source. Came to $34.98 with shipping.

Our local group of 5 ukers are using the past several years of tips from playing at coffee houses and retirement homes to buy the strings.

The issue for me is, that's over $100.00 for a lifetime supply, but what if I don't like the sound and/or playability, besides, I don't use the same strings on all my ukes. $5-$7 for a matched set is a way more sensible option IMHO. :shaka:

""" Maybe the rest of us are buying fishing line and don't know it is fishing line."""
Sounds fishy to me. gigglegiggle.
PS:I hope you have read all 9 pages Rllink. Makes for a good education. I keep buying strings at the local music store. Used fish smelling .021 once when I had to.
Yes I have read all nine pages, ten now. I don't know how educated I have become from it, but I do find the people who are proponents of fishing line to be interesting in their own way. Anyway, I only have one uke to string and I don't change strings as often as some, so buying bulk fishing line would end up costing me more than just sticking with Aquilas. I'm not putting down the fishing line people, because I'm sure that it works just fine. I'm just wondering if those popular brand names that get thrown around here all the time are just fishing line stuck in a nifty envelope. That's where I'm coming from on this. I mean, if someone gave me fishing line, I would string it up and play it. What the heck, I'll play anything.

Last edited:
The issue for me is, that's over $100.00 for a lifetime supply, but what if I don't like the sound and/or playability, besides, I don't use the same strings on all my ukes. $5-$7 for a matched set is a way more sensible option IMHO. :shaka:

same here - this is exactly WHY I did not in fact place an order for all the bulk fluoro leader

I have quite a few ukes, and MANY in completely different tunings, and they ALL have different strings on them except 2...so...for me this is either a 'thought experiment' or something where until I decide otherwise, that I will live vicariously through the efforts of the mavericks that go all out with a lifetime supply of fluoro leaders for uke strings...:music:

Yes I have read all nine pages, ten now. I don't know how educated I have become from it, but I do find the people who are proponents of fishing line to be interesting in their own way.

haha...very true, the only guy I know who uses fishing line is hands down the most interesting man in our club! :shaka:

I’d like to try out Seaguar Blue Label fluorocarbon leader for my PONO ULN4 Nylon Baritone Ukulele with a 21.4” Scale Length tuned as a re-entrant tenor but down one octave. What size leader should I use for each string?

g = 80lb. .032in
C=
E=
A=

Available weight and diameter
30 lb .020 inch
40 lb. .024 inch
50 lb. .028 inch
60 lb. .029 inch
80 lb. .032 inch
90 lb. .036 inch
100 lb. .041 inch
130 lb. .046 inch
150 lb. .050 inch
180 lb. .054 inch
200 lb. .058 inch

I’d start with the diameter for strings from a fluorocarbon set and make comparisons with Seaguar Blue Label diameters for different test lines.

Not playing baritone, I’m assuming that non-wound fluorocarbon sets are available to make a comparison.

A baritone ukulele is tuned the same as a guitar. If I understand your question correctly, are your going to tune your baritone an octave lower than a tenor ukulele which will be lower than a classical guitar? If this is what you are trying to achieve, I think there is no chance of using fluorocarbon, unwound strings.

I’m not even sure what classical guitar strings to use for such a low tuning on a short scale. I guess you could buy a classical guitar set and use the third string (G) for your forth string (g). Then use the guitar 5th (A) and 4th (D) for your C and E. You octave lower A might need a separate single string if the classical 2nd (B) is too loose. When you are done, I can’t imagine what it will sound like.

John

Last edited:
Last edited:

What you do is give a five-year-old a KoAloha soprano and all that fishing line for his birthday. He'll become another Jake Shimabukuro, and he'll never have to buy strings. Plan ahead! :D

Top Bottom