Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: fishing line ukulele string recipe

Quote Originally Posted by bigchiz View Post
    Prices have come down. Here's what I paid for an order through Amazon, included free two day deliver with Prime.

Seaguar Blue Label 25-Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
    30#, $12.99
    40#, $19.96
    50#, $18.00
    60#, $21.96
    80#, $29.99

And found a 90# 15-meters (16 yards) package for $26.99 from another source. Came to $34.98 with shipping.

Our local group of 5 ukers are using the past several years of tips from playing at coffee houses and retirement homes to buy the strings.
    The issue for me is, that's over $100.00 for a lifetime supply, but what if I don't like the sound and/or playability, besides, I don't use the same strings on all my ukes. $5-$7 for a matched set is a way more sensible option IMHO.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by 1931jim View Post
    """ Maybe the rest of us are buying fishing line and don't know it is fishing line."""
    Sounds fishy to me. gigglegiggle.
    PS:I hope you have read all 9 pages Rllink. Makes for a good education. I keep buying strings at the local music store. Used fish smelling .021 once when I had to.
    Yes I have read all nine pages, ten now. I don't know how educated I have become from it, but I do find the people who are proponents of fishing line to be interesting in their own way. Anyway, I only have one uke to string and I don't change strings as often as some, so buying bulk fishing line would end up costing me more than just sticking with Aquilas. I'm not putting down the fishing line people, because I'm sure that it works just fine. I'm just wondering if those popular brand names that get thrown around here all the time are just fishing line stuck in a nifty envelope. That's where I'm coming from on this. I mean, if someone gave me fishing line, I would string it up and play it. What the heck, I'll play anything.
    Last edited by Rllink; 05-15-2016 at 07:00 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    The issue for me is, that's over $100.00 for a lifetime supply, but what if I don't like the sound and/or playability, besides, I don't use the same strings on all my ukes. $5-$7 for a matched set is a way more sensible option IMHO.
    same here - this is exactly WHY I did not in fact place an order for all the bulk fluoro leader

I have quite a few ukes, and MANY in completely different tunings, and they ALL have different strings on them except 2...so...for me this is either a 'thought experiment' or something where until I decide otherwise, that I will live vicariously through the efforts of the mavericks that go all out with a lifetime supply of fluoro leaders for uke strings...
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Yes I have read all nine pages, ten now. I don't know how educated I have become from it, but I do find the people who are proponents of fishing line to be interesting in their own way.
    haha...very true, the only guy I know who uses fishing line is hands down the most interesting man in our club!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

I’d like to try out Seaguar Blue Label fluorocarbon leader for my PONO ULN4 Nylon Baritone Ukulele with a 21.4” Scale Length tuned as a re-entrant tenor but down one octave. What size leader should I use for each string?

g = 80lb. .032in
    C=
    E=
    A=

Available weight and diameter
    30 lb .020 inch
    40 lb. .024 inch
    50 lb. .028 inch
    60 lb. .029 inch
    80 lb. .032 inch
    90 lb. .036 inch
    100 lb. .041 inch
    130 lb. .046 inch
    150 lb. .050 inch
    180 lb. .054 inch
    200 lb. .058 inch

I’d start with the diameter for strings from a fluorocarbon set and make comparisons with Seaguar Blue Label diameters for different test lines.

Not playing baritone, Iím assuming that non-wound fluorocarbon sets are available to make a comparison.

A baritone ukulele is tuned the same as a guitar. If I understand your question correctly, are your going to tune your baritone an octave lower than a tenor ukulele which will be lower than a classical guitar? If this is what you are trying to achieve, I think there is no chance of using fluorocarbon, unwound strings.

Iím not even sure what classical guitar strings to use for such a low tuning on a short scale. I guess you could buy a classical guitar set and use the third string (G) for your forth string (g). Then use the guitar 5th (A) and 4th (D) for your C and E. You octave lower A might need a separate single string if the classical 2nd (B) is too loose. When you are done, I canít imagine what it will sound like.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-14-2019 at 07:13 PM.

So, you want to go from standard G4, C4, E4, A4 tuning down to G3, C3, E3, A3? On a baritone uke, using seaguar leader materials?
    This has been done... here’s the link
    http://typelink.net/wolfewithane/Bar...trant%20Tuning
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 07-15-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    What you do is give a five-year-old a KoAloha soprano and all that fishing line for his birthday. He'll become another Jake Shimabukuro, and he'll never have to buy strings. Plan ahead!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information