Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Bass Players Out There?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dmassop View Post
    hey man, yea i play some bass, i was getting pertty good, and then i got this little thing called a uke, and my bass playing has almost stopped...! but yea, can't beat four strings i guess.
    i play(ed) bass a lot with a buddy who plays guitar, reel big fish, rage, and chili peppers are what we played a lot.

oh haha so today i finally got my little stick on pick up for the uke, but i only have a bass amp, so i plugged her in. it didnt sound to bad, just cut the bass and turned up the treble.

what kind of basses are people out there playing with?
    i've currently have the ibanez acoustic electric black
    I play bass for Rockmamaoff, I love my batz maroo bronco bass by squire. its light and smaller scale, though sometimes I need more grrrrrrr! I also use a jp player acoustic bass. we play covers and a few origonals.

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but I have been playing bass for only a few months (alternating with my other instruments, I suck at all of them!). I got an acoustic bass guitar, nothing too fancy.

My question is about the sliding sound you get when you are going up and down the neck of the bass. I am working on trying to minimise this sound as much as possible, are there acoustic bass strings out there that would be better for reducing this noise? or is it a technique thing that I need to put more work into?

realistcly that noise is impossible to stop unless you play cleaner... this could be done by playing the same note on a higher string such as

E ------------66666-----99999

insted of sliding or strecting to the nine you could just go

A-----------------------444444
    E------------66666------------

really its all about technique
    Mainland Tenor Mahogany"Riker"
    Mainland Long Neck Tenor Pineapple "Geoffery"
    Kala KA-C"Kalina" *On Loan*
    50's Barclay Soprano"Beater"
    ---------------------------------------------------
    http://www.facebook.com/bassmanspiff
    http://www.twitter.com/bassmanspiff
    http://www.youtube.com/bassmanspiff1
    ---------------------------------------------------
    UWC has kicked my butt 8 years running.

i play alot of bass. i have an ernie ball stingray for funk, a gibson thunderbird for rock, a frettless for jazz and blues, and an acoustic for chill stuff

I have the same bass as seeso and bugoy. Sadly it doesn't get played very often. It's just a lot easier to pick up an ukulele or acoustic guitar.
    I hate having to pull the bass and amp out, plugin it in, play for 10 minutes and then put it all away again.

Default Bass Player in Switzerland

hey, i'm a bass player. i've been playing bass for more than 17 years. it's great to meet bass players on a uke platform i guess, all 4-strings intruments are AWESOME (even though i play a 6-string bass, but don't tell anyone )

iono i just played a bass last night at my uncles house and i love it haha thinking about investing in one
    my life is a party. and i only party one way. hard

@TsouL: i highly recommend investing into a bass. to me, it is one of the greatest instruments ever, since a bass player can connect the groove with the harmony and the melody more than any other musician. that also helps with ukulele skills, because you will have a different approach in a band context.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Quote Originally Posted by albertmunoz View Post
    My question is about the sliding sound you get when you are going up and down the neck of the bass. I am working on trying to minimise this sound as much as possible, are there acoustic bass strings out there that would be better for reducing this noise? or is it a technique thing that I need to put more work into?
    Use flatwounds or half-round strings, Albert. hese types of strings eliminate most of that noise. Ric

I've been playing since July 2008. Its become my most prized possesion I could never live without it!

I mostly play 90s alternative songs but I'm trying to pick up on some funk and blues. I write a lot of songs on my bass too haha. I have tabs all over the place. =P

I only have a 4-string sadly, the 5-string was too expensive for my summer budget. =[
    Last edited by Kailabraise; 01-11-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Thread Information