Any Bass Players Out There?

I have played guitar and bass for over 40 years. I just recently got the ukulele bug and bought a couple of them....then I noticed there is such a thing as a bass ukulele. Kala makes the U'Bass based on a baritone uke body (20" scale) using rubber-like strings, tunes the same as a normal bass (EADG), fretted or fret-less it sounds like a stand up bass. It feels so good and actually easier to play than conventional bass. I gotta get me one. It's so tiny. Now when someone says "Do you play Bass?" I can say "Yeah, I play a little bass....no really...a little bass!"

I'm new to UU and thought I'd chime in....I started playing doghouse bass about 16 years ago at the tender age of 42...Primarily for Bluegrass. Still play my 60's model C1 Kay as my main axe. Since that time, I've graduated to guitar, dobro, clawhammer banjo, and now Ukulele. Along the way, I've obtained a house full of instruments. I now own a 1960 Gibson EB2 Hollowbody, 2007 Fender Jaguar Bass, and a (circa) 2000 Epiphone El Capitan (...along with several guitars , a 2003 Martin HD28, Blueridge BR160, (circa) 1972 Yamaha FG-180, Alverez Student Model, 50th Anniversary Mexican Strat, 60th Anniversary Mexican Strat, 1933 Model 27 Dobro, 2003 F60 Dobro, 1948 Gibson Ultratone Lap Steel, a Morgan Monroe banjo and now a Lanikai LCD-C Ukulele and hopefully in the near future a Mainland Tenor Uke.

Oh did I happen to mention that when I'm plugged-in, I playing thru a 1962 Fender Bassman (Blonde Piggy Back)...just bragging!!! sorry

Last edited:
bass has been my main instrument since the mid 70's. picked up a tenor uke last fall; great fun! anyway, this thread showcases the various basses board members play.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?12642-bASS-p***

I'm rubbish at bass, but I love it. I have a Fender P-bass special, which has a J neck, P body, and P/J pickups. Got her off ebay upgraded with a Badass II bridge and strung with flatwounds.

I'm a classically trained double bassist and it's mainly what I play when I do pick up my bass which is sadly less often these days. It's a 4/4 French Mirecourt School Bass made in 1880. Very lucky to have it. I also have a Tokai fretless fender jazz bass copy which is awful but I had the delight of owning a Ricky 4003 which was great but I had to let go so I could my hands on my Pineapple Sunday. A move that I've never regretted.

I have a dust attractor of an Aria Sinsonido "travel bass" (mk1) and a used ME50b. I got them in a fit of "Ooh my first paycheck, now I can afford an instrument for that band my friends keep saying we should start!"

*sigh* So naive...

Last edited:
I have played guitar and bass for over 40 years. I just recently got the ukulele bug and bought a couple of them....then I noticed there is such a thing as a bass ukulele. Kala makes the U'Bass based on a baritone uke body (20" scale) using rubber-like strings, tunes the same as a normal bass (EADG), fretted or fret-less it sounds like a stand up bass. It feels so good and actually easier to play than conventional bass. I gotta get me one. It's so tiny. Now when someone says "Do you play Bass?" I can say "Yeah, I play a little bass....no really...a little bass!"

I also love the Kala Ubass, and am inspired by them..
This is my latest project: BAZZUKA #2
http://youtu.be/Cba5baHL3M0
please let me know what you think?

and yes its trully a really little bass!

Top Bottom