Thanks to unwitting helpers

Doctroid

Reaction score
The Beginner Ukulele Super Collab thread got me thinking about something. In the few weeks I've been here I haven't really posted many or perhaps any questions, despite being a total newb on uke. The reason for that simply is that none of the questions I've come up with have been original: they've all been asked and answered before, here and on other sites, and I haven't had to ask them again, just search and learn the answers.

So if I had started playing a couple weeks earlier, and had been in that video, who would I have thanked? No one?

But I realized, just because I haven't asked questions doesn't mean I haven't benefited from the experience of others. My questions were answered, just in the past: the people who helped me out didn't know they were helping me out, they thought they were helping someone else. And they were of course.

So really there are all sorts of people I could thank -- trouble is, since the answers weren't addressed to me, I failed to take much notice of who was providing the answers. Which leaves me not too sure who deserves my thanks.

Bummer.

Well, thanks to all of you, then; everyone who's helped out a newbie. For every person whose question you answered, another two? ten? fifty? two hundred? learned something from you too. Including me. If I know something about which instruments someone like me should buy, or how to care for my instruments, or where to go for learning materials, or how to fix a problem, it's because you told someone else, and I shared the benefit. So, again, thanks!

We encourage everyone who has a question to use the search feature located in the tool bar before posting the question. As you have pointed out, a lot of the more common questions have been asked and answered. If the question has been asked or needs clarification, we try to provide links as best we can. At times though, it's often easier just to reply with an answer. None the less, the search feature should not be neglected. Thanks for your post!

I very much agree. All of what you're saying is so true. I, too, haven't asked any questions, yet I have found answer after answer just by using the search function through UU.

I was actually part of the collab and I didn't even think about making a thank you sign to everyone here. I just said thank you to the welcome messages and first YouTube comments which really motivated me.

I have received so much great advice and learned so many new things through UU although not originally intended for me. So, I second your thank you to all of UU and the ukulele community for making the beginnings of my ukulele journey easier and so much fun. :D

Oh, btw, I'm from New York too!

Last edited:
Doctroid....

Excellent post. I've found everyone here on UU to be very helpful. I'm probably not as diligent as I should be with the search feature, but I try not to pose questions that seem obvious.

How's the ukulele scene in Syracuse? Here in Rochester it seems to be nonexistant....:(

How's the ukulele scene in Syracuse? Here in Rochester it seems to be nonexistant....:(

Offhand the only people I can recall knowing in the Syracuse area who play uke are my two nephews, with a combined age of about 11; they had a pair of ukes a year or two ago and called them guitars. I think the older one is still interested in guitars.

I've seen another Syracuse uke player on line, though. And at least one other from Rochester -- not to mention Julia Nunes.

Upstart that I am, I made a new group here called Upstate New Yuke, not much action there so far but check it out...

I'm the exact same as you, Doctroid! I was considering doing the collab, but yeah, I wouldn't have anyone to thank specifically. (not to mention my mic/webcam sucks)

But I really have had so many questions answered and been helped indirectly so many times. Thanks guys!

I agree. Well put. Thanks to all. I have found that even small variations posed to specific members are treated with respect. Senior members and junior members alike take the time to answer. Thank you to all who have posted, will post, who lurk, to those who have answered posts and to the moderators and blah blah blah!
I love the tips, the lessons, the sites you all recommend and the effort to extend the Uke love.

OK. Back to work! Remember it is not what matters that counts, but its the little things that are small.

That has to be one of the subtle things that attracts us to UU.

It's an atmosphere of "Pure Helpfulness", without a lot of unnecessary back and forth between just a few members in the know. I think it's neat that there is the freedom for personal feedback, but it's not oppressive or rampant... just a word or 2 of acknowledgement.

I too, want to thank all those who have contributed over the years. Such a wealth of information and good will.

Mahalo very much!

:agree:Without this forum I would be a bit lost. Give it up fot UU:bowdown::shaka:

Without this forum, I doubt I would ever have contemplated picking up a uke! Thanks to all of you, I'm well on my way to having a serious case of ukulele addiction, and it feels blooming marvellous!!

This forum is such a great source, not just for information, but friends too, thanks for making me feel so welcome :) Oh and for all the info!!

Well, to tell the truth, UU is an alien force intent on world domination.

We spread uke addiction, gradually changing innocent forum visitors into pod people who think of nothing but koa, mahogany and nylon strings.

You may think people are being helpful, but it's a ploy. Yiz are all doomed.

Top Bottom