Building an arch top ukulele

Here are some pics of the first design being built. I've been slowed somewhat by a dislocated finger. Will get the plans for the thickness caliper and the work board soon. Also should have this guy finished soon, will try to do a video of it.

Attachments

• AYC uke 003.JPG
    AYC uke 003.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 269
  • AYC uke 004.JPG
    AYC uke 004.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 230
  • AYC uke 005.JPG
    AYC uke 005.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 212
  • AYC uke 007.JPG
    AYC uke 007.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 242
  • AYC uke 008.JPG
    AYC uke 008.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 274
Email address

I sent you an email at the address listed above. I eliminated the space between last name and initial. If you don't get it, please let me know through here. Thanks again, paul

Sorry for the slowdown guys, I've been up in Seattle getting some medical attention for my finger. Just so everyone understands, I need to build all of the tools and the ukuleles before I can draw up and send you the plans. Right now I'm finishing up the first model, (the easiest one) and will be sending you the plans for it and for the thickness caliper and work board as soon as I can. After that, I'll start on the pineapple model, and next the figure eight.

Brad

Sorry about that didjit.

Bummer on the finger. I'm looking forward to this project. What's this about abending iron? You have the plans to make them? This is going to be fun! thanks again, Paul

Yea he posted plans for a bending iron already.

Here are some pics of the finished art work on the top. This instrument is going to the Dragonfire Gallery in Cannon Beach for the annual Stormy Weather Arts Festival the first weekend in November.

Brad

Attachments

• KW 001.JPG
    KW 001.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 222
  • KW 002.JPG
    KW 002.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 149
  • KW 003.JPG
    KW 003.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 175
Is it too late to jump in on this? This looks like my kind of thing!

I'm looking forward to the pineapple plans. :D

Thank you Brad!...The video is awesome!....BTW, I've tried to build a couple of necks...I used black cherry wood...My biggest problem is how to cut the 15 degree angle for the neck with hand tools...Any info I find explains how to do it with a table saw or band saw...But how do you cut the scarf angle with hand tools?....Or do you just skip the cutting and carve it out from a big block of wood?...I am using stock wood 3 x 3/4

Thanks

First of all, I would reduce the width of the piece of wood to the maximum width of the neck where it joins the body, ie. from 3" to a little over 1.75". Then you should be able to make a 15 degree cut using a hand saw. You can use the offcuts from this to glue on ears for the headstock. Stand the wood on its edge, mark the angle on the top and draw a perpendicular line down the side as a guide. The trick is to clamp the wood securely to a work bench. You can't hold the wood in one hand and use a saw accurately with the other. Cut slowly using the line drawn as a guide. The cut does not have to be perfect. Use a sanding block or a plane to clean up the faces of the cut.

Brad

brad: would you be able to build me one if i payed you with bent sides to look like an archtop guitar?

Love it! I went and researched keyhole saws in the Lee Valley catalog last night. If I get to tht point before school is out, I can use the scroll saw at school I guess. Can't wait for the next update.

Top Bottom