Installing Pickup Prices

specialmike

Reaction score
For those luthiers out there...
How much do you typically charge to install a pickup. I'm considering installing a pickup in my KoAloha tenor, the going rates here are like 100 bucks for the service plus however much the pickup costs...

what are your thoughts?

:cheers: OK, I'll be over tomorrow with a dozen ukes and a keg of brew!
attachment.php
:smileybounce:

pick up

Hell I will fly out. Can you pick me up at the airport??

Just curious...are you doing active or passive and what brand?

I'm debating on installing one in my Kamaka and I'm leaning active, but I'm not crazy about having the 9 volt battery inside...

$100 doesn't buy much anymore. I would imagine that's a pretty fair price for shop labor, especially if it's a particularly complex install like having to cut out a hole for preamp, working it all from the inside, and things like that.

i just got my kamaka back from the kamaka factory had an active pick up installed and its not so bad with the battery in there. if you have to travel and worry about it getting knocked around then you can just take out the battery no biggy. but it sounds great amped and im happy i got an active over the passive just sounds really good. also depends on what ur gonna be doing are u going to be doing concerts for a large amounts of people or is it just a couple of frends with an amp just jammin. no need to spend that extra money if ur not gonna use it to its fullest.

For those luthiers out there...
How much do you typically charge to install a pickup. I'm considering installing a pickup in my KoAloha tenor, the going rates here are like 100 bucks for the service plus however much the pickup costs...

what are your thoughts?

I had an LR Baggs Element pickup installed in my KoAloha tenor last year, I paid about $60 for the install + the cost of the pickup. That said, this pickup doesn't have a preamp box to install in the side of the uke. The volume and tone controls are small and attach to the inside of the soundhole with doublesided tape.

i just got my kamaka back from the kamaka factory had an active pick up installed and its not so bad with the battery in there. if you have to travel and worry about it getting knocked around then you can just take out the battery no biggy. but it sounds great amped and im happy i got an active over the passive just sounds really good. also depends on what ur gonna be doing are u going to be doing concerts for a large amounts of people or is it just a couple of frends with an amp just jammin. no need to spend that extra money if ur not gonna use it to its fullest.

How long did it take them to install it? That is what I was planning on doing, and also shy I can't go the MiSi unless I have it done elsewhere, since I think they use a different one at Kamaka...

Wicked, I'm not sure how old your Kamaka is but if the warranty has already expired then you might still consider having the MiSi installed by a third party. Just my 2 cents *and probably worth less than that*

Wicked, I'm not sure how old your Kamaka is but if the warranty has already expired then you might still consider having the MiSi installed by a third party. Just my 2 cents *and probably worth less than that*

You're probably right Ronnie. I like the idea of the MiSi one. But I'm such a worry wart. I took my Kanile'a all the way to Kaneohe so that Joe Souza himself would install my strap button. Partially for warranty reasons but also just because I wanted Kanile'a to do it instead of a third party. And for a pickup, which is even more complicated, I wanted to have Kamaka do it themselves. But I will keep that in mind...

not really on topic but sorta is lol
does the active pickup ruin the acoustics of your uke?
ive been wanting to install one but kinda afraid itll mess with the acoustics.

How long did it take them to install it? That is what I was planning on doing, and also shy I can't go the MiSi unless I have it done elsewhere, since I think they use a different one at Kamaka...

took only 2-3 days. they use fishman pickups both passive and active. you can always contact them for price quotes and what not theyre really nice and will definately help you out.

Top Bottom