Kamaka tenor and Koaloha tenor

Well I already have a koaloha concert and I pretty much only play it. When I visited the factory all they had were sopranos and concerts. Never played a scetre but I've always wanted one. The story behind koaloha and meeting them in person just speaks so much for the instrument.

there small family business right???

I'd go with Koaloha. IMO their sound is more consistent from one instrument to another. I own a tenor and I absolutely love it! Great sound and projection and feels like butter when I play it... mmmmm. The people at the factory are fantastic and you can't beat their "bettah than weather" warranty.

I think both are wonderful. Sound is subjective and can vary from instrument to instrument even from the same manufacturer. KoAlohas are probably more consistent but again, sound is subjective.

As for durability, KoAloha's finish is much harder than Kamaka's. If you were including Kanile'a then the the UV finish on that uke would be the most durable.

On a practical matter, good luck in finding a tenor KoAloha. They are as rare as tenor Sceptres. You can find tenor Kamakas and Kanile'as all over (at least in Hawai'i and Southern California.)

Hello everyone..

I'm looking for any feed back on the Kamaka tenor and Koaloha tenor. I've never scene or heard these in person, but from some of the reviews I've read, and pictures I've seen, these seem to be the two that I'm looking for.
I am absolutely [too many words fit here] in love with the way they look (from the pictures). They are golden... :drool:

Anyway, how do these two sound in a back to back comparison? I like a deep rich but lively sound. I play a variety of songs, mainly contemporary (though i kick it old school to :D) and some that I've made up. I also plan on tuning it low G because i love teh basss the low sound of it, though I'll tune it for regular/high G sometimes.

Durability?.. I am a hobbyist that moves on and back. I've been into longboarding, computers, audiophiling, cars, ect all of which I've spent good money into.. So I would like it to be something that I could keep for a looong time and since its an instrument, maybe pass it on to my children..

So in summary which do you prefer/think is better? Why?

feel free to add any other comments.

Based on what you've said I'd say go with a Kamaka, for these reasons:

1. Kamakas sound incredible, they offer exactly what you mentioned, a deep and rich sound. Koalohas for me are very bright which is good but not like the Kamaka.

2. Kamaka is the oldest surviving make of ukulele, you want something to pass to your children? This is the one to pass. There are plenty of other ukes that may cost more, may look or sound better but in the future it's something like Kamaka that will be more desirable simply because of the name and their history;

3. They aren't that expensive compared to the other K brands, if you order direct from the factory a tenor costs $890 plus shipping which I think is worth it;

4. Jake S plays one.

I agree with those who have suggested trying both and see which feels right for you. They are both great. I made the same decision between KoAloha and Kamaka a year ago. I live in the bay area and I went to two places in the San Jose area....one carries KoAloha and one Kamaka and tried them both out.

www.ukulelesource.com
www.gryphonstrings.com

They are only about 15 minutes away from one another and you can try both depending on what they have in stock. Good Luck, you will be very happy with either I am sure!

I've had Kamaka 'ukuleles in my family since before I was born so I am biased. ;)
To ME the Kamaka is the quintessential Hawaiian 'ukulele the other 3 K's relative new kids on the block. The quality and sound the KoAloha is comparable to the Kamaka but somehow lacks the mystique of a Kamaka. Also somehow I have a difficult time getting used to the "musubi" shaped soundhole of the KoAloha. I guessed I'm old fashioned. I have a Kamaka Pineapple which is a Hawaiian original and what I grew up with listening to my Dad play so to me what a real 'ukulele should sound like and the standard of sound quality others have to compare to. :)

I agree with those who have suggested trying both and see which feels right for you. They are both great. I made the same decision between KoAloha and Kamaka a year ago. I live in the bay area and I went to two places in the San Jose area....one carries KoAloha and one Kamaka and tried them both out.

www.ukulelesource.com
www.gryphonstrings.com

They are only about 15 minutes away from one another and you can try both depending on what they have in stock. Good Luck, you will be very happy with either I am sure!

O_O thanks! I think I've been to ukulelesource before.. but I couldn't remember the name or where it was at, so I didn't bother looking >.<
If I recall correctly, its in JPtown san jose?

Yes, Ukulele Source is in the heart of Japan Town in San Jose,
599 North 5th Street
San Jose CA 95112
408 998 2640

Gryphon is in Palo Alto,
211 Lambert Ave.
Palo Alto, Ca 94306, 650-493-2131

You can look on Gryphon's website and check out what they have in stock. I don't know how often they update but it looks like pretty frequently. Tell us what you get, and post pictures!

Ryan

Top Bottom