Am7 Chord

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I cant seem to find the chord shape for an Am7. Is it 0235? I found this somewhere, but it doesn't sound really right to me. Thanks.

or
or
or
or

p.s. 0235 is a G5

Last edited:
0453 is my favourite,

or 0000.

Ukantor.

0453 is my favourite, [...]

Mine too. Not just my favourite Am7, but one of my favourite chords altogether.

I've started playing The Faces 'Ooh La La' at our pub session. Most of the song (in the key in which I sing it) goes G, Am7. The 0453 version sounds great, the 0000 version sounds so bad that I'd select a different key if other Am7 voicings weren't available. :D

I like that 0987.

How about 5430 or 5700? We're on a roll, here!

Ukantor.

OH! 0543... best chord EVER! Sounds awesome reentrant... not so much with low g.

Hey HoldinCoffee,

0543 is indeed a stonkin' chord. Not an Am7, of course, but as a form of Fminor, or Dm7b5 it can work wonderfully well.

I'm gonna use that!

Ukantor.

Hey SSB, mahaloz for the 0057 and 5700, never tried those. I like!

GREAT THREAD - but I suspect the OP is suffering from information overload!

So Mangorockfish, stick with 0000 & 0453 for now. Of course, 0000 is a "moveable" shape for minor 7 chords (Barre the first fret - you've got Bbm7, 2nd fret gives you Bm7, 3rd fret Cm7 etc.) 0453 is NOT.

Ukantor.

... 0000 is a "moveable" shape for minor 7 chords (Barre the first fret - you've got Bbm7, 2nd fret gives you Bm7, 3rd fret Cm7 etc.) 0453 is NOT.

But X453 is. No rule sez you have to use all four strings every time... :rulez:

--Mark

You know when I was studying for the bar exam my fellow study partners used to joke that we had reached the point of overload. For every piece of information that went in the brain a separate piece had to come out.

Now that I know 23 different ways to play Am7 I can't remember how to play a C.

Something similar, different chord. 0045 is an interesting C7. It has a very brash, raw sound - kinda rock 'n roll-ish. You wouldn't want to use it generally, but there's a place for it. Kansas City.

Ukantor.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I've had my new Mainland gloss mahogany concert since last Friday and have the version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow shown on the Capt. Google Collab. down pretty good except for the Am7. None of the versions sound totally right to me. I guess I'm not making my changes fast enough. I'll get it worked out and again thanks alot.

Top Bottom