UU Contest Board

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
I wonder if UU Admin should make a change in the rules about non-UU based contests being mentioned on the Contest Thread.
Perhaps they could be allowed if pre-approved by UU. Everyone seems pretty excited about the Safari contest and Bosko and Honey are such cool cats!
Maybe there are reasons for this rule that I'm not considering.

Unless it is done to "protect" the UU contests, which I find totally acceptable, the suggestion of hoosierhiver is a good one. For an ukulele information board, it would be a good service to have notices of stuff outside the board as well.

I agree with hh. I think most of us have an interest in what all goes on in the ukulele community. If the UU contest board is not the place...then maybe a section focused on events is the place for non-UU contests. Just my :2cents: before tax.

i couldn't agree with HH more. To me, UU is a net which catches all information in the ukulele world, not a closed biosphere. I had no idea that the bushman was about to start, nor had i heard anything about the Uke Safari...It seems to me that if someone was interested in a UU contest, the Bushman would not keep them from competing that said UU contest...they'd prolly just do both

I was going to start a thread like this. I'm glad HH did instead, because I was pretty ticked off when I saw Bosko & Honey's thread was locked. Seems to me that most of these contests are run on YouTube and not UU anyway.

How do you define "run on UU" ? For example, say Dominator, GX9901, or some other UU member that has their own ukulele website, blog, etc..starts a contest, and they announce it both on their site and on UU. Is it then not a contest run on UU? Howlin' Hobbit's Contest was no problem. Pippin announces the Ukulele Player monthly drawings every month. So, where is the line drawn?
It seems to me that it is up to the whimsy of the Mods to determine if a contest is "UU based" or not. I know that there is a lot of bad feelings towards Bushman (maybe warranted, maybe not) but IMO they were locked out because of this bad blood, and Bosko and Honey were locked just to show a semblance of consistancy.

Don't get me wrong, I've got much love for Grumpy, Seeso, and Rayan, but this rule makes no sense to me and seems impossible to enforce fairly.

There I feel better now...:)

edit: I just noticed this was my # 911 post. I love irony...

Last edited:
:agree:
They didn't seem to mind before for.. say the wine country contest or anything previously. Is it because UU isn't getting anything from Bosko and Honey for advertising the contest? I mean, what's the big deal? Or are Bosko And Honey trying to get ... money from UU for advertising the contest... either way, I would imagine that seeso and all of the other moderators wouldn't just close the contest thread due to a rule that was poorly enforced in the past... especially on such a large contest!

it's just odd....

but perhaps DEG has a point about the bad blood between bushman and whatnot... bad blood that I'm not familiar/aware with/of. It's just odd... like Aldrine said something a while back about not competing with other ukulele sites... but here they are... blocking a contest not held on UU... something just doesn't smell right.

Last edited:
something just doesn't smell right.
Everything smells fine, but the added requirement of permission to post "out of UU" contests (I guess that is vague, but maybe, "contests which have their main page outside UU" is closer) would probably get rid of any issues including the speculation the current situation invites.

Last edited:
I know that there is a lot of bad feelings towards Bushman (maybe warranted, maybe not) but IMO they were locked out because of this bad blood, and Bosko and Honey were locked just to show a semblance of consistancy.

I think this is the main reason... I think a clarification of the rule and what it means would be nice...

I wasn't reading into the situation, I just think that it hasn't been considered much and the Contest Board is something fairly new for the mods to think about.

We had a discussion about this and decided to lock that thread for now, because it's the rules. But we all hope that Rayan may change the rule or something like that. We didn't like to close it either.

Please don't forget we're human, too. It's always hard to say if this or that is the appropriate way to handle a certain situation. We'll see how it is going to be.

PS: Locking up that thread had nothing to do with B&H, they are cool cats. it's just a matter of rules and fairness.

We had a discussion about this and decided to lock that thread for now, because it's the rules. But we all hope that Rayan may change the rule or something like that. We didn't like to close it either.

Please don't forget we're human, too. It's always hard to say if this or that is the appropriate way to handle a certain situation. We'll see how it is going to be.

PS: Locking up that thread had nothing to do with B&H, they are cool cats. it's just a matter of rules and fairness.

Rayan just gave me the okay. The thread is unlocked.

No worries guys! Thanks!

Rayan just gave me the okay. The thread is unlocked.
Can you communicate a little bit on the way this is decided? Is a permission rule in action already? If so, great.

Can you communicate a little bit on the way this is decided? Is a permission rule in action already? If so, great.

I asked for explicit permission for that specific thread. I wouldn't say that the contest rule has been officially amended to include this wrinkle.

Top Bottom