Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make a cigar box ukulele?

Default how to make a cigar box ukulele?

Hello, I want to make a concert size cigar box uke but i haven't ever built a cigar box uke or have any experience in wood works except for a pine wood derby car. I need help on what to do. What kind or size of cigar box should i get for a concert? Where would be a good place to get the cigar box, neck/fret board and the other materials to make it? What would be the easiest way to make one for a beginner?

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by schubs View Post
    Hello, I want to make a concert size cigar box uke but i haven't ever built a cigar box uke or have any experience in wood works except for a pine wood derby car. I need help on what to do. What kind or size of cigar box should i get for a concert? Where would be a good place to get the cigar box, neck/fret board and the other materials to make it? What would be the easiest way to make one for a beginner?
    Here's a thread on concert size cigar box size.

The easiest way is to buy the neck, fretboard, nut, saddle and bridge from Mainland Ukulele.

Check out Cigarboxnation.com lots of good info there.

When choosing a box, pick one that has a thin bottom(which will probably be the top). Avoid boxes with alot of paper. About 6x9 is a good size.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Ebay always has a great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Milla View Post
    Ebay always has a great selection.
    ebay is a ripoff...buy a $2 and pay $8 for shipping. It dont cost $8 to ship a dumb box...they do that cuz their ebay fees are based on percentage of sale price not including shipping. They add to shipping to make an extra buck or two. I dont have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the fact that they typically charge way more than local shop prices, and thats NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING.

classic example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cohiba-corona-mi...item588390b152

you can walk to the store, and buy this box for $2-3 tops...here you pay about $12
    Last edited by cornfedgroove; 10-07-2009 at 05:00 AM.

assuming he lives near a cigar store

Quote Originally Posted by Milla View Post
    assuming he lives near a cigar store
    There should be one somewhere close...
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

Quote Originally Posted by cornfedgroove View Post
    ebay is a ripoff...buy a $2 and pay $8 for shipping. It dont cost $8 to ship a dumb box...they do that cuz their ebay fees are based on percentage of sale price not including shipping. They add to shipping to make an extra buck or two. I dont have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the fact that they typically charge way more than local shop prices, and thats NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING.

classic example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cohiba-corona-mi...item588390b152

you can walk to the store, and buy this box for $2-3 tops...here you pay about $12
    Looks like we should start buying up cigar boxes and selling them on ebay...
    Last edited by Matt Clara; 10-07-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks for the replies and websites. I am planning on getting the bridge, neck/fretboard, and other materials at mainland ukes. I just have to find a store that sells cigar boxes or buy one off ebay.

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by mattclara View Post
    Looks like we should start buying up cigar boxes and selling them on ebay...
    if it wasnt a major pain, cigar shops would do that already lol...well, some do.

Others pawn them off for a few bucks while still some shops just toss them all out cuz they're just trash.

Thread Information