Introduce Yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonny

use to live in Oahu but now ina huntington beach, CA
1 year playing uke on the serious side this time

Aloha Gang.

Jon here in the Seattle Area.

Just got back from Kiting in Maui where I picked up a Lyon Concert Uke from Costco.
First instrument I've played in several decades. Gotta say I'm hooked.

And I think I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you fine folks at UU.

The Robogrip moniker is in reference to my job as a Key Grip in the film industry.

Thanks for all the great lessons and the huge dose of Uke Stoke.

Jon

howsit everyone!

I'm Matt from Kaua'i.
Just got my uke back in November.
sporting a Flea like they gave away in last months competition :)

Intro!!!!

Waz' up pees of the UU community...

I am from Boston Massachusetts. I have been playing the uke for about 6 months now. Fell in love with the instrument 7 years ago when visiting the Island of Kauai. I was in Kapaa and i just made the decision to buy one... Then my girl was mad that i just spent $400 on it and she wanted jewlery. Wouldnt you know it. dumbest thing i ever did. I had to appease the woman. I reluctanlty returned my uke. and bought her some gold. WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!! Anyway... I finnly got around to buy my own uke not to long ago and I LOVE IT!!! To think I could have been a season 7 year player by now....:mad:

Old Uker

I've played ukes on and off since I was a kid in New Guinea (Irian Jaya), but I have only gotten serious about it more recently. The cool thing about the ukes when I was a kid was that they were all hand-made instruments made by local people for their own use. None of them had frets, just maybe some lines cut into the fretboard for reference. That was some real island music.

I got into it a little more when my son, the guitar fanatic, asked for a uke to put some of that "island vibe" into his sound. We got a Rogue baritone and sent it back because he didn't like it. Then he bought a "First Act" kid's uke from Wal-Mart. Believe it or not we still play that thing. Meanwhile I got a Kohala soprano that is pretty good.

But a couple of weeks ago I got my baby.

I went into a local antique shop and saw two instruments. One was a Harmony tenor guitar. I tuned that up and played it a bit, and thought it sounded like something I might like to fool around with, but I was more interested in a little brown uke that was with it. They were asking for $39 for the tenor guitar and $24 for the uke.

I went and got my son and we checked them out. We sat in the shop and played for about 20 minutes. Then the lady that owned the place offered to sell them both to us for $50 bucks. Needless to say I jumped on that.

The uke is a baritone Favilla. It is in great condition and has a gorgeous sound. I checked around and this is about a $400 dollar uke.

I play with my son and a friend of mine who spent a lot of time in Hawaii while he was in the Air Force. We love Iz, Ka'au Crater Boys, Willie Dan and all the great ones. I want to learn some Jack Johnson and try adapting some other stuff. I love folk, so I like to do stuff that was meant for guitar and adapt it to uke.

Waz' up pees of the UU community...

I am from Boston Massachusetts. I have been playing the uke for about 6 months now. Fell in love with the instrument 7 years ago when visiting the Island of Kauai. I was in Kapaa and i just made the decision to buy one... Then my girl was mad that i just spent $400 on it and she wanted jewlery. Wouldnt you know it. dumbest thing i ever did. I had to appease the woman. I reluctanlty returned my uke. and bought her some gold. WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!! Anyway... I finnly got around to buy my own uke not to long ago and I LOVE IT!!! To think I could have been a season 7 year player by now....:mad:

Welcome to U.U.

So, did you marry the girl? (or was she already your wife?):D

Hi, I'm Wheels. It's a nickname I've had for a long time. I live in Denver, Colorado.

I got my first uke (a Kamaka concert) in 2004 in Hilo. I've acquired a few others since then. I have various other instruments, but since I picked up the uke, I've more-or-less ignored the others.

I like playing novelty songs, 60's pop, and a few other things. Not really into Hawaiian music or hapa haole, though.

My name's Alan and you can find my videos under "UKISOCIETY" on YouTube. I've played soprano ukulele since I was a boy, but didn't get the serious uke bug until about 4 years ago. Now I own around 10 ukes ranging from sopranino to tenor (never will buy a baritone!).

Ukulele players are few and far between here in Kentucky and Indiana. Ukisociety was designed to get the Uke players from this area together for fellowship and commiseration.

I'm also developing a ukulele ministry at my church. I've given away 2 ukes to people so far and hope to add uke lessons and playing sessions to the church schedule someday.

Thanks for reading!

1/27/09 UPDATE: I bought a baritone (!)

Last edited:
My name's Jason. I'm from Vancouver Island, off Canada's Pacific coast. I've only been playing around with the ukulele for about a month, but I can't get enough of it!! I've also been playing the guitar for about 4 months.

I never really thought I'd be playing either, to be honest with you. I'm 32 years old, and I've never been that musical. But I'm finding both instruments to be very rewarding (though sometimes frustrating). It's a real journey for me, and I'm happy to have found an outlet for discussing the ukulele.

Unfortunately, I don't actually own a ukulele. The one I'm using was lent to me by a friend. Let's face it... she's going to want it back eventually!!

In any case, I'm on youtube if anyone's interested in checking me out. Like I said, I'm still pretty new, but I'll be adding vids as I learn more material. I know I'm not that fantastic yet, but I'd love for you to subscribe and watch me learn and grow as a player!

Cheers!

Last edited:
hey my name is Devon, Im a girl who lives in virginia USA :D
i love the ukulele and joined this forum to learn more songs mostly.
i hope i become an active member here!

Hello all! Dennis from Zandvoort, The Netherlands here. Just got my Uke (for a week now) and i love it!!! My wife got it for my birthday as a little 'joke' but it rocks. I already play the electric & acoustic guitar and have lessons for over a year now. So i have some knowledge to start from.

I like al your YouTube stuff and learn a lot from you all. Hope i can return the favour sometime :)

Last edited:
Hi !!

Im Ronald Manuel
I live in Milpitas California
Im 17
Ive been playing 3 instruments, Piano (8 years) guitar(2 years) and the most recent and most cherished the ukulele (1 year so far):eek:

any one else from the bay area or possibly milpitas???

Howdy!

The name is Nelson (some friends call me by my middle name Kirby (yes it really is kirby)) and I'm 18.
I like to play a bunch of different instruments...I started out with bass and have been playing that for about five years now. I play some acoustic guitar, digeridoo, harmonica, a liiiiil bit of panflute, and mouth harp.
However I have been playing ukulele for about a year now and it is by far my favorite instrument.

I'm livin' in New Jersey and attending William Paterson University.

Intro..

Hey Everybody, Im RJ! I been Playin ukulele for about 2 years everyday. I take my uke to work with me and pretty much everywhere i go. Im 21 years old and orginally from ILIILI, American Samoa. I live in Cedar City, Utah now and try to jam as much as i can. If anyone has any questions hit me up.

Tofa Soifua,

RJ TUUMALO

louden county. i live about 45 min. from DC

That must be when the traffic's good! I live in Fairfax, and yeah, I can get into DC that quick when I go see a show at night, but I know my roommate's taken as long as two hours to get in to his job down near Capitol Hill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom