What bass do you play?

Last edited:
Time to offload my starter 4 string pbass. The neck is too small for my hands and has been causing me trouble.
Also its not quite as nice as this beauty I got a hold of:

yuk my attachment died.

Anyways, I succumbed yet again. Damn craigslist!

This is an ashbory bass (came before kala ubass) and an eleuke pineapple.

http://i.imgur.com/YBk9895.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GIBGH4M.jpg

Attachments

• squierprotone5small.jpg
    squierprotone5small.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Funny enough the eleuke pineapple is gone, the ashbory is up for sale and I traded the squier protone v for a sterling sub ray5 which I'll probably sell. Oh yeah and I did sell the sx pbass. I can play the 5er like a short scale...

I love my gretsch junior jet g2202 and I really love my hadean ubass, especially after I defretted it and shimmed the neck pocket. I really need to put together an overdub setup going so I can do some recordings.

Last edited:
The staple is my Rick 4001. It doesn't work for everything, but when it's right, it's right!! Right now, and for probably the last 5 years or so, my go to all around bass is an Ibanez SR500 with bartolinis. I'd always defaulted to basses with EMGs until I got one with bartolinis. It's very warm and "milky" sounding. It's the most versatile bass I've ever owned.

I, also, trying to warm up to the Kala Ubass solid body!

Look down at my signature to see my four basses (the Blue Star Tele is still being built). In the 50 years I've played guitar, a number of friends told me to take up the bass, but I didn't want to be encumbered by the large basses available, and certainly not a double stand-up bass. Then in the last 18 months of playing ukulele and discovering small basses, and the encouragement of the leader of the ukulele group to which I belong, I decided to learn. It's been great fun and obviously BAS has me, just as UAS does.

The staple is my Rick 4001. It doesn't work for everything, but when it's right, it's right!! Right now, and for probably the last 5 years or so, my go to all around bass is an Ibanez SR500 with bartolinis. I'd always defaulted to basses with EMGs until I got one with bartolinis. It's very warm and "milky" sounding. It's the most versatile bass I've ever owned.

I, also, trying to warm up to the Kala Ubass solid body!
The 4001 was my go-to from the late 80s up until the turn of the century when I lucked into a good deal on a '63 Gibson EB3. It's smaller, lighter and after Todd at Gibson rewired it to have a three-way toggle instead of the varitone it's done everything I've needed quite well. I still use the Rick a lot in the studio, but the shorter scale length of the Gibson makes it easier to play live. I also have a pair of matching Japanese P-Bass Lytes that got a lot of duty for club dates when I was gigging regularly.

I also have '72 Precision that's mainly for show. People want a Fender on sessions, I'll do the tracks on it, then when everyone leaves, I'll go back and re-record them on the Rick. The next day, when doing rough mixes, they'll look at each other, smile and nod and say, "See? The bass sounds perfect, I told you the Fender was the the way to go."

But... (and there's always a but)

I picked up a Kala Rumbler last month that's going to see some serious use for smaller clubs and backing up my buddy that plays a lot of cigar box guitar gigs. Giving serious thought to a solid body U-bass as well...

I've been playing an American Special Jazz Bass in my current band. The funny thing is, I didn't used to like Fender. Now I really appreciate the way it feels, especially for long gigs. I also like how the J-bass tone is sort of a blank canvas that I can craft into the tone I want with my outboard gear.

Oh, and here's a picture... but you knew what it looked like before I posted this anyway!

attachment.php

Attachments

• productimage-picture-fender-american-special-jazz-bass-53814.jpg
    productimage-picture-fender-american-special-jazz-bass-53814.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Kala California UBass - Red. That's my favorite. I've tried the Mahogany acoustic, the Sub UBass (which isn't bad but which is hard to love after playing the California Model). I also have an Ibanez Mikro and a beautiful Fernandez (made in Japan).

Hi Guys,

i play a Tanglewood acoustic bass. It was the standard cheap model, i checked that I got a good model and then made some modifications. Gotoh mechanics, fishman pickup, saddle, bridge and pin material change. am playing it since 4 years.

Cheers
Bernd

Top Bottom