So, I think I just had my identity stolen.

beeejums

Reaction score
And now my bank account is REALLY overdrawn, and not all of the charges are mine. I'm not looking for pity, I'm looking for advice from those skilled in the Internet / legalese / financial matters. I've got over $200 in charges coming from New Hampshire... I've never even BEEN to New Hampshire.

What should I do?

I already had my cards cancelled... How does this work? Do I delete my Facebook (i.e. try to scrape myself off the face of the internet)? Do I disappear and change my name or be slammed with deep debt from which I will never recover?

Suggestions?

you have talked to the bank, haven't you? if not, log out of here immediately and go do so. your bank has to help you with this. if your bank account is badly overdrawn it's not a credit card problem.

good luck. this is not a fun problem at all.

If it's a credit card account you should have no real problem. I seem to get one picked off every couple of years (I buy a lot online) and usually the card company notices before I do.

An atm card can be a different problem, however. If someone cloned your card and made a bunch of pin transactions the money is gone and you may never see it again.

You have a mess of phone calls you need to make, right away. I had something similar happen once, and it took over a year to fix. The faster you get on it, get reports made, get police reports, etc, the faster it will be over. Don't be shy about getting a police report! When you have creditors knocking on your door and calling you for debts months down the road that are not yours, having a police report to show them really helps.

These are steps to take (quoting from Clark Howard's website), do them now:

If someone is using your identity and cashing your checks or credit cards, you should:
Report the situation immediately to your bank or credit card company. You may not have monetary liability because forgery and/or fraud is involved, but you will want the companies to be aware of the problem, as this is something that could affect your credit. In addition, follow these instructions to fully protect yourself:

a) Contact all three credit bureaus and issue a fraud alert. Check your credit report six months later and look for items you don't recognize.
b) Provide a copy of your driver's license to each agency's fraud unit in order to register an affidavit.
c) Contact the proper authorities in writing, via certified receipt request.
d) Inform your local police department, Social Security Administration and all creditors with whom you have accounts.

Credit bureaus:
Equifax: 800-525-6285
Experian: 888-397-3742
Transunion: 800-680-7289
SSA Fraud Hotline: 800-269-0271

If a thief steals your identity and begins racking up debt:
A) Contact the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies. Request that your account be flagged and add a victim's statement saying, "MY ID has been used to fraudulently apply for credit. Call me at this number to verify all applications." Find out how long the fraud alert will be posted and how to extend it if you need to. Check your credit report and look for items you don't recognize.

B) Contact your credit card companies and financial institutions to report the fraud. Get new cards, have old accounts colsed with a memo stating, "account closed at customer's request." Follow up in writing.

C) Call the police and get the crime on record, then get a copy of the police report. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided.

D) Notify the Federal Trade Commission, which keeps a database of identity thefts. Phone: (888) FTC-HELP; Address: FTC, CRC-40, Washington D.C. 20580.

E) Notify you bank and if necessary, cancel checking and savings accounts and get new account numbers. Request a password that may be used in every transaction. Get a new ATM card, account number and password. Don't use your SS # or birthdate as a password.

F) Don't pay any bill or part of a bill resulting from identity theft.

And now my bank account is REALLY overdrawn, and not all of the charges are mine. I'm not looking for pity, I'm looking for advice from those skilled in the Internet / legalese / financial matters. I've got over $200 in charges coming from New Hampshire... I've never even BEEN to New Hampshire.

What should I do?

I already had my cards cancelled... How does this work? Do I delete my Facebook (i.e. try to scrape myself off the face of the internet)? Do I disappear and change my name or be slammed with deep debt from which I will never recover?

Suggestions?

I think you are a victim of phishing and/or skimming. In both cases money is withdrawn from your account(s) without you knowing. First of all block the cards (contact your bank or creditcardcompany). Most banks or CC will pay you back the money wich is taken from your account. Also keep a close look at you bank/creditcard transcriptions. Perhaps it's also handy tot contact your local police office to report a crime.

You don't really have to remove your accounts on FB and other socialnetworks;)

I'm sure everything will turnout in a good way for you!

bank still has to help you. especially if you already cancelled it.

The bank should help you with it in some way.

My bank required that I file a police report when my ATM account number was stolen (by somebody buying pizza in Rio De Janeiro, of all places). Once I did that and brought a copy to them they replaced all the money.

It's most likely a stolen card receipt or something - which would mean not worrying about FB accounts or stuff like that. But keep a close eye on things for a while!

This majorly sucks. :(

I've got over $200 in charges coming from New Hampshire... I've never even BEEN to New Hampshire.
Are these charges from B&M stores or online?

If the former, call the police in the location of where the charges were made.

If the latter and they're ordering goods to be shipped, definitely contact the vendors, as they will have a record of who/where things are being sent. And while it's possible they were using a proxy or public wifi, you should be able to get an IP addy. Do a whois and find out who the ISP is. It may take a subpoena to get the ISP to give up who was using that IP at the time of the transaction. This is why you need to get the police involved.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for all the kind words and the advice...

I've got a huge to-do list for tomorrow.

Here's hoping I can get my finances back on track so I can buy more ukes.

change ur name over $200?

Yeah, and I'm debating moving to Hawaii just to make sure I've got lots of distance between myself and the problem.

You know, just to be sure. :D

Thanks again for all the kind words, everyone! Ukulele Underground gives me the warm fuzzies.

Top Bottom