Thread: Differences between tone bars and bracing

Default Differences between tone bars and bracing

I thought they were all one and the same falling under the category of "bracing". Now I see people refer to the braces on the lower part of the top as tone bars. Are there any physical differences between the two?

For me the term "bracing" covers it. Braces give increased structural stability, but will inevitably have an effect on the sound. So if you put in a "brace", it will affect the tone, and if you put in a "tone bar" it will increase stiffness.

It would be valid for a builder to make such a distinction, since he knows the primary intention of adding that particular piece of wood.

FWIW I built a soprano uke with no lining and no bracing. It sounded very mellow provided it was strummed softly, but more vigorous strumming gave a "muddy" confused sound. There was too much going on. It lasted about nine years before the string tension pulled it out of shape.

Ukantor.

Braces provide strength and stiffness, tone bars rone. 'snot rocket science Tone bars also tend to be shaped one way of another - Dave Means carves them into parabolas the clever clogs

I think it's time I bought a book to read up on these kinds of nuances--any suggestions? I just bought the Hana Lima manual, but I don't expect it to cover the whys and wherefores, let alone the theory behind them.

Thread Information