Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ukulele Bridge Placement

My point was saddle placement is more accurate when measured from the nut and not from the 12th fret. As an example lets assume we are adding the same amount of compensation and measuring to the same place on the saddle and from the same place on the nut.

Scale = 300mm
    Fret 12 @ 150mm

Fret 6 was to be placed 87.868 mm but as the world is not perfect was placed 1/4mm flat
    Fret 12 for the same reason was placed 1/4mm sharp @ 150.25mm

By now measuring off the 12th fret you take the 150.25mm and double to 300.5mm, compensate and place the saddle there.
    You now have and error of .75mm @ fret 4. This error could get worse or better when you actually place the saddle.

Making all measurements from the nut in this example you would reduce the error all other things being equal.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 11-09-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    My point was saddle placement is more accurate when measured from the nut and not from the 12th fret. As an example lets assume we are adding the same amount of compensation and measuring to the same place on the saddle and from the same place on the nut.

Scale = 300mm
    Fret 12 @ 150mm

Fret 6 was to be placed 87.868 mm but as the world is not perfect was placed 1/4mm flat
    Fret 12 for the same reason was placed 1/4mm sharp @ 150.25mm

By now measuring off the 12th fret you take the 150.25mm and double to 300.5mm, compensate and place the saddle there.
    You now have and error of .75mm @ fret 4. This error could get worse or better when you actually place the saddle.

Making all measurements from the nut in this example you would reduce the error all other things being equal.
    You have just burst my bubble, as i had assumed fret placement was correct as far as humanly possible. Large Factories such as Martin and Taylor i'm sure have this down pat. Smaller shops "might" not have a template or fixed setup to cut fret slots and so error on any one batch might creap in and go unnoticed.

......but i see your point, placing the bridge as measured from the nut sort of averages any small (hopefully) errors of any individual fret placement. Were the "12th fret" be seriously misplaced, fretting along the entire scale would sound horrible if the bridge (saddle slot specificially) were placed with "it" as the reference point to measure from.
    Last edited by joejeweler; 11-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Thread Information