Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soprano Ukulele in the $150-$250 price range

Here's a video comparison of some Ohana ukes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YatHdcIy6A. I'm diggin' the willow and cedar. I'm also a fan of the Kiwaya. Bottom line...for the price point you've mentioned, all the ones listed so far are quality instruments. Now it's a matter of what you like. Good luck.
    -KP (aka KC8AFW)

My YouTube Channel

Lanikai LU-21 Soprano | Mainland Mahogany Concert | 1930s Favilla U-2 Soprano | 1950s No-name Soprano | Ohana SK-38 Soprano

I believe MGM currently have a couple of Kelii sopranos that are just a little bit beyond your budget. If you can stretch it, I'd recommend Kelii. They are pretty much in the same league as the other Hawaii "K" brands (afterall, they ARE a Hawaiian "K" brand), but at a much lower price.
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

Ok here is my opinion. I think that the koalana will be good b/c it is a koaloha technically. However with your budget I would visit www.meleukulele.com these ukes are hand made and you can get a solid mahghany for 200. Meles are better than these others IMO even though the ohanas are good, kiwayas are great, mainlands are excellent, ponos are ok, and fleas are really good. Meles are just a little bit better. But I'm not the one buying. You are. Anxious to see what you get.

I have an ohana sg-35g. You won't do better (I might be a little biased). It is built solid, intonated almost prefectly, easy to fret, a beautiful little instrument. so much fun to play. I highly recommend it.

I've been very happy with my Kala solid acacia soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by Uke-lahoma View Post
    I've been very happy with my Kala solid acacia soprano.
    Ooh, I'd be tempted by one of those!
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

I have an all mahogany ohana CK-25, and I think it's great.

Default Update

I went with the Kiwaya KS-1.

Thanks for all your input. It was quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KC8AFW View Post
    Here's a video comparison of some Ohana ukes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YatHdcIy6A. I'm diggin' the willow and cedar. I'm also a fan of the Kiwaya. Bottom line...for the price point you've mentioned, all the ones listed so far are quality instruments. Now it's a matter of what you like. Good luck.

I've been eyeing the willow/cedar soprano myself. Looks pretty yummy.

Bliss Street, write up a quick post when you get the Kiwaya. Curious to know whether you like it or not. If you ordered it from MGM, it will probably come strung with Fremont Blacklines, which sound pretty good on the KS-1.
    Last edited by existence; 10-16-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Quote Originally Posted by GX9901 View Post
    I believe MGM currently have a couple of Kelii sopranos that are just a little bit beyond your budget. If you can stretch it, I'd recommend Kelii. They are pretty much in the same league as the other Hawaii "K" brands (afterall, they ARE a Hawaiian "K" brand), but at a much lower price.
    I popped in to say the same thing. It looks like he's making solid koa tops with mahogany back and sides these days. (I believe that the one I picked up a couple years back was all koa but also a little bit more expensive.) This combo seems like really a good value for the money.

It is certainly a favorite player of mine and one that I reach for as often as one of the Koalohas when I'm playing around the house.

Kelii definitely deserves a look if you can swing that extra cash. They're really kind of underappreciated as a player's instrument. Simple design, but great bright sound with plenty of volume.

Ahnko Honu could probably tell you more about these, but there's also the ukes made by Emil Bader at Global Creations that are really underpriced and in some very interesting woods. (I've been sorely tempted myself, but times is tight.)

Thread Information