Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea Vs Applause UA10-CCB

Default Flea Vs Applause UA10-CCB

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I bought a cheapo Stagg US10 Ukulele about a month ago (more or less out of curiosity, really). I didn't expect to fall totally in love with the Ukulele as an instrument and now I'd like to upgrade. The Stagg was fine for learning but I've decided to invest in a more "serious" Uke. Anyway, I was hoping for some advice, hopefully from people who've had hands-on experience of both Ukes. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the Flea in action (so I know it sounds great), but not so many of the Applause. However, I've found it's quite a bit cheaper than the Flea.

So is it a decent enough Uke, or should I cough up the extra dough and buy a Flea? I understand it's electro acoustic. How does it sound unplugged (I plan to go busking with a friend)? Any opinions?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I bought a cheapo Stagg US10 Ukulele about a month ago (more or less out of curiosity, really). I didn't expect to fall totally in love with the Ukulele as an instrument and now I'd like to upgrade. The Stagg was fine for learning but I've decided to invest in a more "serious" Uke. Anyway, I was hoping for some advice, hopefully from people who've had hands-on experience of both Ukes. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the Flea in action (so I know it sounds great), but not so many of the Applause. However, I've found it's quite a bit cheaper than the Flea.

So is it a decent enough Uke, or should I cough up the extra dough and buy a Flea? I understand it's electro acoustic. How does it sound unplugged (I plan to go busking with a friend)? Any opinions?

Cheers.
    The Flea is hands down the superior instrument IMO. You are getting a durable and sweet sounding instruments. The Applause is very 'punchy' and while it has it's niche, I think that the Flea is more versatile and has a more complete sound overall.
    Purchase my new solo album HERE!
    Check out my YouTube
    www.mattukulele.com

My first "playable" uke was an applause. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Flea. Here is the only video I made with the Applause if you want a sound sample.

Ditto, you'll wish you had a Flea. I have a UA10 right now. I'm forced to play it while I wait for a new tenor. It's way overhyped. I thought it was awesome when I first started, but now I realize the intonation blows; although, I did get it signed by Aldrine...

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

Applause UA10 is a cool little uke. But I think you'll find that the Flea is the better instrument. I don't own either, but have the tenor versions of both. And I can tell you that you will not be dissappointed by the Flea, whereas you may be dissappointed by the Applause. Flea is just as durable, stands on its bottom, and has a better tone and more projection than the Applause. Go for the Flea.

Besides the fact that both got plastic backs, there really is not much in common with fleas and applauses. Style, Sound and playability are complete different animals. If it is not meant as a pure stage instrument I see no advantage in an applause, which are -at best- said to be very reliable when played in a stage environment. Soundwise -especially when played unplugged-there is no way an applause could ever beat a flea. The extra dough is well invested.
    This is a .44 Martin, the most powerful handgun in the world

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Go with an Ovation Applause UAE20. Great action, nice thin neck and plenty of punch when they open up. After playing many brands of ukes, to include Fleas, my money's on the Applause. I've used mine busking both acoustic and amplified. My oldest one in black stain is legendary in local uke clubs. Everyone wants it, but it's not for sale. Ric

Are you in the UK, Marimo? I ask because the Applause you mention can be had for just over 100 over here (the electro acoustic version), whereas a Flea is much more than that, and that's for a non-pickup version with a plastic fingerboard. I have nothing against Fleas/Flukes (though I have a personal preference for the applause ukes), but in the UK they can work out really expensive, especially if you add a pickup and a rosewood fingerboard.

Flea all the way - best choice of the 2! You won't be sorry.

Default Choice #3

Choice #3- Ohana CK70RB

* Solid Spruce Top
    * Molded Rounded Back
    * Precision Nickle Friction Tuners
    * Top Body Binding
    * Aquila Strings, Bone saddle and nut

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/master.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNFn1Bc2o3U
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

Thread Information