Baubles in the workshop...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Oil grain fill, 2 coats of shellac, 3 coats of sealer, 6 coats of clear sanding flat between coats 3 and 4.... and now for a well deserved rest...

3Tenors.jpg

How long does that finish take, including all the curing and sanding between coats? I love that gloss look.

Thanks

Pete, you always amaze me! Examples like this show why you do some of the finest work in the industry...and can match apples to apples against any other builder !
:bowdown:

It takes 5 days. I have a 'super-shed'. It's dry lined, 5x3 with extraction. However finishing is very hard for me to do. I am still trying to get my grain filling regimen right. For these beauties, it all came together right. Today was pants trying to use a paste filler with Spanish Cedar which is like a sponge. More sanding and sealing tomorrow...

My heavens, those are beautiful!

Might be a dumb question, but what are "Baubles"? Wikipedia said it is used to describe something as "a virtually worthless decorative object" and I doubt that is what you are going for with those ukes.

Shoot I should have caught that. At least it makes more sense now! Those look great though!

So, the British compliment would be: "Not bad" and the American would be "Awesome!"

And they certainly are, one way or the other ;)

Last edited:
So, the British compliment would be: "Not bad" and the American would be "Awesome!"

And they certainly are, one way or the other ;)
And a Yorkshire equivelent would be "Aye lad! it'll do, it'll do"...(The more "It'll do's" denote the quality)

Last edited:
More like - 'That the best you can do?' I'm afraid we are not a nation known for its positive praise ethic...

I've got 5 uklectic I'm going to photograph and even I think they are equally awesome - the magnificence of God's creation ever fills me with a sense of wonder and my smallness in this universe; what could be greater than the natural beauty of something that once gave shelter to the birds, oxygen to the planet and now, fllled, seasoned and crafted. the potential of beautiful music to give His creation further pleasure?

Now I know I can make this bold statement on this forum and at least 60% of the people who read it will understand this spiritual dimension to my work - I am doing it not for any praise of man (and yet I am touched than many of you, without seeing it 'in the wood' so to speak parise it) but to show the glory of God. How fortunate I am. It's also fortunate that what mainstream woodworkers consider junk I can use for my droptop uklectics :)

I'll try and get some shots when they are part way through the spraying cycle. They are either waiting for filler to dry or are just receiving some flash coats of sealer. The burrs are stabilised with epoxy filler, all other parts are paste filled.

Top Bottom