Felt pick

rreffner

Reaction score
Does anyone use felt picks anymore? I have seen a couple different types. Thinner and thicker ones. Were they designed for use on ukes??

Felt picks are used on bass occasionally, as well as uke.

I think you'll find pick users of any kind are in a minority. Felt pick users probably especially so.

I tried felt picks when I first started playing , as I came from instruments that are usually played with a pick. I soon decided that, for me, they were useless, and it didn't feel that I was gettng the full uke experience by using a pick.

Anyway, I ditched them and I've been having fun ever since. :D

YYMV, of course. :)

Felt picks are used on bass occasionally, as well as uke.

I think you'll find pick users of any kind are in a minority. Felt pick users probably especially so.

I tried felt picks when I first started playing , as I came from instruments that are usually played with a pick. I soon decided that, for me, they were useless, and it didn't feel that I was gettng the full uke experience by using a pick.

Anyway, I ditched them and I've been having fun ever since. :D

YYMV, of course. :)

Just starting out on the uke, I've been having probs with strumming, so I decided to try out a couple of picks. I got one like 1/4" thick, and also what looks like a plastic 0.6mm with a thin felt coat on top (shaped like a heart - cute :p).

Personally, although they made me feel easier strumming (think fingers not getting tangled up) I didnt like them - I guess I just got this whole idea of the uke being simplistic - no pick, no strap, no tuner, no case, just me and the uke :rolleyes:

I've ditched em too, but I know some people on here like em.

Does anyone use felt picks anymore? I have seen a couple different types. Thinner and thicker ones. Were they designed for use on ukes??

I like fooling around with different sounds, so I do use a soft thick felt pick sometimes for a very soft strum.

But I've only been playing for about 2 months, so I am no expert on recommendations. :p

CountryMouse

i have a weird thing when it comes to touching certain materials (especially when my hands are dry) felt being one of these materials it makes me cringe touching them.

i have a weird thing when it comes to touching certain materials (especially when my hands are dry) felt being one of these materials it makes me cringe touching them.

lol - I totally understand...hairy fruit ARRGGGHHH :D You're just sensitive in a kinesthetic way.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread. Hairs on my neck stood up and I shuddered "no thank you!"

I got worried for a second that there was some sort of secret piece of equipment that I had to get. A piece of equipment that I just couldn't possibly hold. I am relieved after reading through the responses :eek:

Last edited:
Most picks are felt.

I mean, you've got to feel them to use them, right?

JJ

Most picks are felt.

I mean, you've got to feel them to use them, right?

JJ

Groan.
icon_tomato_local.gif

I bought a felt pick to see how I liked it, but...I just vastly prefer playing with my fingers. It made my uke a bit louder, though that may be because I'm used to strumming guitars with picks (and I had a heavier hand). All in all, I would consider playing with a felt pick the exception rather than the rule for me.

My 2 cents.

Jim Dunlop makes nylon picks that do pretty well on the uke. I have a fistful of the 0.60mm size but may try out some of the smaller sizes, too.

--Mark

picks felt and soft rubber picks

As I'm just starting out, I tried both the felt picks and the rubber ones too.

The molded rubber (Wedgie?) has a nice thumb recess to hold better for strumming. The molded rubber sounds more like your finger on the up strum but louder. The felt pick is hard for me to use on the up strum, to use the felt pick I have to keep a loose grip on it so it can slant away from strings in either direction. The Wedgie is fine for me both up and down with a firm grip.
I like the sound from the felt better. Usually I do not use the picks. I am really trying to play without them.

I started off using a pick, but felt like it lacked the traditional sense, so now I'm trying to play without one.

-UM :shaka:

Top Bottom