Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt pick

Default Felt pick

Does anyone use felt picks anymore? I have seen a couple different types. Thinner and thicker ones. Were they designed for use on ukes??

I always thought felt picks were made for nylon strings in general. I think...

Felt picks are used on bass occasionally, as well as uke.

I think you'll find pick users of any kind are in a minority. Felt pick users probably especially so.

I tried felt picks when I first started playing , as I came from instruments that are usually played with a pick. I soon decided that, for me, they were useless, and it didn't feel that I was gettng the full uke experience by using a pick.

Anyway, I ditched them and I've been having fun ever since.

YYMV, of course.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhuu View Post
    Felt picks are used on bass occasionally, as well as uke.

I think you'll find pick users of any kind are in a minority. Felt pick users probably especially so.

I tried felt picks when I first started playing , as I came from instruments that are usually played with a pick. I soon decided that, for me, they were useless, and it didn't feel that I was gettng the full uke experience by using a pick.

Anyway, I ditched them and I've been having fun ever since.

YYMV, of course.

Just starting out on the uke, I've been having probs with strumming, so I decided to try out a couple of picks. I got one like 1/4" thick, and also what looks like a plastic 0.6mm with a thin felt coat on top (shaped like a heart - cute ).

Personally, although they made me feel easier strumming (think fingers not getting tangled up) I didnt like them - I guess I just got this whole idea of the uke being simplistic - no pick, no strap, no tuner, no case, just me and the uke

I've ditched em too, but I know some people on here like em.
    Friendship is like peeing your pants - everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth...

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it into fruit salad...

Quote Originally Posted by brickerenator View Post
    It's my first uke, not my last.

Quote Originally Posted by rreffner View Post
    Does anyone use felt picks anymore? I have seen a couple different types. Thinner and thicker ones. Were they designed for use on ukes??
    I like fooling around with different sounds, so I do use a soft thick felt pick sometimes for a very soft strum.

But I've only been playing for about 2 months, so I am no expert on recommendations.

CountryMouse
    Flukes: Island Design custom; Red Cowboy | Fleas: Denim concert; Grape soprano | Enterline CBU #7
    Lanikais: LB6-S banjolele; LU-21 | Eleuke Mahogany | aNueNue U900 pineapple | Luna Great Wave pineapple
    Kalas: Purple Paisley Ukadelic; Watermelon | Red Hilo soprano | Dolphins: Pearl White; Pink Burst; Green Burst;
    Blue Metallic | Mahalos: Blue Tr Fruit; Smiley Face; Hearts; Black Les Paul | Tom Pocket Uke | Plastic: Woodi; TV Pal

Twitter | Blog | Facebook | YouTube | YouTube Too

i have a weird thing when it comes to touching certain materials (especially when my hands are dry) felt being one of these materials it makes me cringe touching them.

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleG View Post
    i have a weird thing when it comes to touching certain materials (especially when my hands are dry) felt being one of these materials it makes me cringe touching them.
    lol - I totally understand...hairy fruit ARRGGGHHH You're just sensitive in a kinesthetic way.
    Friendship is like peeing your pants - everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth...

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it into fruit salad...

Quote Originally Posted by brickerenator View Post
    It's my first uke, not my last.

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleG View Post
    That's the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread. Hairs on my neck stood up and I shuddered "no thank you!"

I got worried for a second that there was some sort of secret piece of equipment that I had to get. A piece of equipment that I just couldn't possibly hold. I am relieved after reading through the responses
    Last edited by AirCanuck; 10-23-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Most picks are felt.

I mean, you've got to feel them to use them, right?

JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele JJ View Post
    Most picks are felt.

I mean, you've got to feel them to use them, right?

JJ
    Groan.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Thread Information