Anyone play Uke in a band??

Oh George Harrison! From KISS??? :D
I really enjoy Jakes playing as well as Aldrines. They're do so much with the uke. Not just strumming chords and singing, which is nnnnice but IMO doesn't showcase the Uke at all. Like Eddie Vader... Yea he's playing a Uke but really... (again IMO) it has no love. Sounds thin and just might as well be a guitar. I think Jason Maraz (spelling?) song "I'm yours" is cool but again it's just kindda filler. I'm looking for a band with a Uke player right up front.

But I respect anyone playing a Uke for his or her enjoyment. I just want to see face melting & mad skillz that takes years to gain.

Yeah, Eddie. Get a capo. I didn't remember any uke on Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours." I pulled out the liner notes and there's no mention of it. I know a lot of youtubers play it on uke. It's fun to play to, but it's in B. I tune down a half step and play it in the C position.

LOL! That's me too bro.
But it's still great to have heros that set that bar so high. That's kindda my feeling with the whole four strumming chords and singing camp fire songs. It's for everyone. I want the best, if I train with fighters I want to train with the best, if I skate board I wanna skate with the best. I may never get as good as my heros but it'll drive me to train/play harder and in the long run will make me sound better, even if I'm only a fraction of what I shot for.
Plus I've NEVER been more happy playing a uke than I am when I play Jake's stuff and if my tunes end up sounding very Jake-ish.... That's not too bad. :)

If I might play devil's advocate for a moment...

I definitely know where you're coming from with regards to wanting to strive to be the best...I have that tendency too, and it's made me a better player for sure. But IMO there's a difference between sports and music, in that music is not a competition. It's an artform, and its primary goal is self-expression. You can express yourself with four chords, or you can do it with elaborate chord melody arrangements...I don't think one is "better" than the other. Some very beautiful and moving music has been made that's just chords and vocals, especially folk music.

I'm a guitar player, and I've noticed an emphasis in the guitar world on speed and difficulty. That's awesome, but there's more to music than arpeggios and chords, just as there's more to painting than colors and perspective. The human spirit is what breathes life into all art, and that is so regardless of how difficult or esoteric the work may be. Look at Julia Nunes...she's not doing anything fancy, but her charisma and infectious energy animate her music far more than some technically impressive but sterile displays of fingerboard wizardry I have seen. She just sounds good!

Anyways, just wanted to give my thoughts on that, not trying to be rude or contrarian or anything. Like I said, I understand your desire to be "the best", and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't in me as well.

Rock on!

I play uke in a band with two acoustic guitars, an electric guitar, bass, and hand percussion. We're in the process of recording and I'll be able to post it soon for you. You can go to www.myspace.com/mealfrog if you want to hear some rough one-takes just in an apartment, haha... but we'll be posting live cuts very shortly.

Top Bottom