D'Addario strings?

CountryMouse

Reaction score
I have a question about the D'Addario strings sold in the UU store: they seem to come in only tenor and concert. Are the concert strings okay to use on a soprano?

I am trying to decide between putting D'Addario or Worth Clear strings on my new Kala Kiwi. I don't think I'm getting the volume I thought I would from the Kiwi.

But I also remember reading in another thread that D'Addario strings are somewhat more "comfortable" to play than Worth Clears.

I want to find a balance between performance/"brightness" and comfort.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Yes, Miss Mouse. Concert size strings will be perfectly fine on your soprano. What kind of strings do you have on it now?

I tried the concert d'addario nylon strings (which from what I understand is actually quite different from the tenor d'addario strings), but for me, I really didn't like them at all - it didn't sound great, nor did it feel great. Just not my kind of strings, I guess. I would recommend any other strings I've tried (which includes Worths, Aquilas, Koolau golds, and GHS) over the concert D'addarios.

Since I hate them, I have a pack of new d'addario strings just sitting around. So if you'd like, I'd gladly give (ie mail, though it might take a little longer since I'm overseas) them to you. Someone else might as well enjoy them if I can't.

Last edited:
I tried the concert d'addario nylon strings (which from what I understand is actually quite different from the tenor d'addario strings), but for me, I really didn't like them at all - it didn't sound great, nor did it feel great. Just not my kind of strings, I guess. I would recommend any other strings I've tried (which includes Worths, Aquilas, Koolau golds, and GHS) over the concert D'addarios.

Since I hate them, I have a pack of new d'addario strings just sitting around. So if you'd like, I'd gladly give (ie mail, though it might take a little longer since I'm overseas) them to you. Someone else might as well enjoy them if I can't.

I bet alot of us has strings lying around we don't like/won't use.. I propose the creation of thr Ukulele Underground String exchange program (UUSEP)...

butinstead of trading strings, you send em off to someone who needs a set or would like to try a different set, and that person sends a set off to someome else.. etc, etc, etc.....

Just an Idea.

JT

I've been wanting to try nylon guitar strings on my Koaloha, but I know the gauges are a good deal thicker than the Worths I've got on there now. I'm thinking I'd have to widen the bridge slots, and even though that's simple the thought of altering my Koaloha fills me with a nameless dread.

Miss Mouse, maybe you could try high tension strings, if your fingers could take it, that is. They should give you a little more volume.

I had the opposite experience with D'Addario strings. I switched from Aquila to D'Addario on my laminate soprano and like the D'Addario strings way better. They're soft to the touch and have a more mellow, consistent sound than Aquilas. My only complaint is they're harder to do pull-offs with because they don't grab my fingers the way Aquilas do. I just dislike the hard, plastic-like feel of Aquilas and the kind of erratic sound they produce when strummed with nails due to their gut-like qualities. Aquilas are loud though, I'll give 'em that.

I might try some Worths on the next string change but I'm digging the $5 price tag on the D'Addarios and the opportunity to support UU.

Just goes to show string choice is a personal thing and you really have to experiment to find the right strings for you.

I have tried the D'Addario Pro Arte Concert strings on a long neck Flea, laminate Kala soprano and now on a Pono Ohai Soprano and haven't liked the sound on any of these Uke's they sound cheep/tinny to me.

I put Aquilla's Concert size on my Pono Mahogany Soprano and it really turned up the volume form the K-golds that came on it and the Soprano Aquilla's I had on it.

Yes, Miss Mouse. Concert size strings will be perfectly fine on your soprano. What kind of strings do you have on it now?

My Kala Kiwi has Aquila strings now, that MGM put on. In Lori's video review, she said she replaced them with Worth Clears for a brighter sound on her Kiwi. I am noticing that I want more sound from mine too, but I was thinking of trying the D'Addarios.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Let me think on it and see what others have to say here--I haven't gotten all the way through the replies yet. Thanks so much for the generous offer!

CountryMouse

I've been wanting to try nylon guitar strings on my Koaloha, but I know the gauges are a good deal thicker than the Worths I've got on there now. I'm thinking I'd have to widen the bridge slots, and even though that's simple the thought of altering my Koaloha fills me with a nameless dread.

Miss Mouse, maybe you could try high tension strings, if your fingers could take it, that is. They should give you a little more volume.

I am pretty sure my fingers would NOT be able to handle it. :p I have Worth Brown light tension strings on my Mahalo and they KILL my fingers. Also, wouldn't the high tension strings be bad for my uke?

Also, I think I am confused about the various terminologies for tension in strings.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

I had the opposite experience with D'Addario strings. I switched from Aquila to D'Addario on my laminate soprano and like the D'Addario strings way better. They're soft to the touch and have a more mellow, consistent sound than Aquilas. My only complaint is they're harder to do pull-offs with because they don't grab my fingers the way Aquilas do. I just dislike the hard, plastic-like feel of Aquilas and the kind of erratic sound they produce when strummed with nails due to their gut-like qualities. Aquilas are loud though, I'll give 'em that.

I might try some Worths on the next string change but I'm digging the $5 price tag on the D'Addarios and the opportunity to support UU.

Just goes to show string choice is a personal thing and you really have to experiment to find the right strings for you.

Thanks for your input--lots to think about!! :)

CountryMouse

I have tried the D'Addario Pro Arte Concert strings on a long neck Flea, laminate Kala soprano and now on a Pono Ohai Soprano and haven't liked the sound on any of these Uke's they sound cheep/tinny to me.

I put Aquilla's Concert size on my Pono Mahogany Soprano and it really turned up the volume form the K-golds that came on it and the Soprano Aquilla's I had on it.

Hmm! Maybe I should just get some Aquila Concert strings! I do like the feel of the Aquilas.

I have Aquila Soprano strings on my white Makala Dolphin, and it sounds GREAT. In the last few days, it's started sounding louder too, opening up more. I thought that only happened with solid wood, not laminates.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

I bought some Tenor D'Addario from the UU shop - I'm lovin'em.

So here's my :2cents:

They're soft, not as soft as Ko'olau Golds, but they're soft - they have a nice soft and mellow sound. I haven't had any problems with these strings at all, i.e., hammer-on's, pull-off's, strumming, etc. The C string is thicker than any other set of strings I've bought (the stock C string on my Uke was metal and I think the D'Addario C is a bit thicker). I think they're a bit softer than Worth Browns, but I could be mistaken (I've only played one Uke with Worth Browns and it was only a couple times...it was my uncle's Uke)

The sound coming from my Uke could differ greatly though depending on which Uke you put it - mine is solid Koa and I haven't heard how these strings sound on laminate Uke's. I recommend you try them though, I enjoy them greatly.

I bought some Tenor D'Addario from the UU shop - I'm lovin'em.

So here's my :2cents:

They're soft, not as soft as Ko'olau Golds, but they're soft - they have a nice soft and mellow sound. I haven't had any problems with these strings at all, i.e., hammer-on's, pull-off's, strumming, etc. The C string is thicker than any other set of strings I've bought (the stock C string on my Uke was metal and I think the D'Addario C is a bit thicker). I think they're a bit softer than Worth Browns, but I could be mistaken (I've only played one Uke with Worth Browns and it was only a couple times...it was my uncle's Uke)

The sound coming from my Uke could differ greatly though depending on which Uke you put it - mine is solid Koa and I haven't heard how these strings sound on laminate Uke's. I recommend you try them though, I enjoy them greatly.

Thank you for the information. I'm thinking now I should get a set of D'Addario Concerts and maybe a set (for backup/next time) of Aquila Concerts. My experience so far with Worths has been negative, so I'm a bit hesitant to get those.

I'll wait a bit longer and see if I get any other responses here. I am open to all information and opinions. :)

CountryMouse

J53 Black Nylons

I do not own any 'real' ukuleles, just a few cigar box projects I decided to keep. That being said, my string of choice for cigar box instruments is the D'Addario Hawaiin / Concert J53 Black Nylons. These strings have worked for me on soprano's, concert's, and tenor's. I get mine from a place called Big City Strings in OH. Good strings, great price.

I do not own any 'real' ukuleles, just a few cigar box projects I decided to keep. That being said, my string of choice for cigar box instruments is the D'Addario Hawaiin / Concert J53 Black Nylons. These strings have worked for me on soprano's, concert's, and tenor's. I get mine from a place called Big City Strings in OH. Good strings, great price.

Thanks for the recommendation. I can only seem to find a Big City String Co. in Connecticut, not Ohio. Do you have a URL? Thanks!

CountryMouse

Top Bottom