Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trap door ukulele

Default trap door ukulele

I've seen some guitars and some ukes with a second soundhole, one that faces the player. Has anyone built a uke with second soundhole, a hole on the shoulder? I'm wondering if I could make one with a simple trap door on the shoulder.? Has anyone had any experience with this or seen one?
    Will the second hole ruin the sound?

The second hole has been done, I believe it sounds good to the player, as it sends more sound his/her way. A trap door is an interesting idea.

Ukantor.

I build all of my concerts and tenors with a side sound port. I think it opens up the sound a lot. The high notes ring especially clear and I feel like there is a substantial increase in sustain. There is still plenty of lower end too, and the volume and clarity are better from a players and audience standpoint. The only downside I can see is all of the questions people ask about the hole in the side.

This is only my opinion and I am sure that someone will be along soon with the oposite opinion.

About the trap door. Try it and let us know.

Take care,
    Thomas

I fear that a trap door would lead to all sorts of strange questions. I used to have a motorcycle with the fuel tank under the seat. The visible "fuel tank" was a "glove" compartment for carrying various items. It was very convenient, but I spent a lot of time explaining things to puzzled strangers.

Ukantor.

Check out Hana Lima's web page store and look under plans. The Kasha braced ukuleles plans have side sound holes.

Konala

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I fear that a trap door would lead to all sorts of strange questions. I used to have a motorcycle with the fuel tank under the seat. The visible "fuel tank" was a "glove" compartment for carrying various items. It was very convenient, but I spent a lot of time explaining things to puzzled strangers.

Ukantor.
    "Arial Arrow two stroke Twin" Great bike I had a couple at one time ..I kept the second one for spares.

I've seen guitars with a sliding door built inside the upper bout that is meant to adjust the output of a SSP. I'm not sure what the point would be however.
    Under what circumstances would you ever want the instrument to sound less than it's best? I agree with Thomas's observations.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    I've seen guitars with a sliding door built inside the upper bout that is meant to adjust the output of a SSP. I'm not sure what the point would be however.
    Under what circumstances would you ever want the instrument to sound less than it's best? I agree with Thomas's observations.
    I take it you feel it sounds better to everyone, and not just to the person playing the instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by mattclara View Post
    I take it you feel it sounds better to everyone, and not just to the person playing the instrument?
    I can only speak of my own instruments. It not only gives the player a little extra feedback but also increases forward projection. Perhaps more importantly it opens the instrument up. Curiously, I have found the same to be true of my dual puka (double sound hole) ukes. Makes one question the traditional sound hole size, placement and number............
    BTW, I have found that in order for a SSP to be effective, the main sound hole needs to be made a bit smaller than normal.
    This is MY experience on MY ukuleles. All usual disclaimers apply.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

isn't it called a monitor hole?

My 'ukuleles:
    • LU-21P Lanikai Soprano Pineapple
    • LFM-T Lanikai Flamed Maple Tenor
    • Lauren Baritone

Thread Information