Thread: StewMac binding router bit and bearings

Default StewMac binding router bit and bearings

I don't want to spend on the whole set, so if someone could recommend a couple standard sized bearings to add to the bit, I would appreciate it.

It really depends on the size binds/purflings you want to install.
    I cut all my wood bindings to fit the .06" bearing which actually cuts .072". They do this to allow for glue, etc. I believe most commercially available plastic bindinds will fit the .04" (.052") bearing. I use many of the other sizes depending on how wide my purflings are. I wish they had some bearings between the .15" and .20" sizes.
    In my opinion the sets from LMI are better since there are more size choices. I have too much invested in the StewMac cutters and bearings to switch now......
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    It really depends on the size binds/purflings you want to install.
    I cut all my wood bindings to fit the .06" bearing which actually cuts .072". They do this to allow for glue, etc. I believe most commercially available plastic bindinds will fit the .04" (.052") bearing. I use many of the other sizes depending on how wide my purflings are. I wish they had some bearings between the .15" and .20" sizes.
    In my opinion the sets from LMI are better since there are more size choices. I have too much invested in the StewMac cutters and bearings to switch now......
    Thanks Chuck. Do you route your channels with a laminate trimmer? I know you mentioned you use a dremel for some of that work.

Yes, I use Home Depot's house brand, Rigid. I have a bunch of them and the bases are all interchangeable. I never switch bits unless they are dull. The Rigid also has some good mounting hardware to fot on my channel cutter.
    Don't even try to cut a binding or purfling channel with a hand held Dremel. I know it can be done, and StewieMac even sells a fixture for this purpose, but you won't be happy with the results.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thread Information