Psychedelic Uke is done (for now)

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I have finished the restoration on my Martin style 1 and I want to show it off.
I bought it on Ebay for 66 bucks. It had eight cracks,a hole, and missing its nut. It also had designs painted all over it. I used polishing compound to get rid of the psychedelic paint designs. I fixed all the cracks, I used those super dooper magnets for clamps. I made a new nut out of buffalo horn.The neck was nice so I didnt touch it except for polish. I sprayed the body with lacquer
and just now finished polishing and put on strings. Sounds nice! I really enjoyed doing all the repairs. Here's before and after pics about a month from now I'll do a little more polishing.

Attachments

• CIMG2888.jpg
    CIMG2888.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 180
  • CIMG2890.jpg
    CIMG2890.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 151
  • CIMG3087.jpg
    CIMG3087.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 169
more pics please. :D

sounds like a lot of work...

how did you fix that hole in the back?

wow! i almost bought that uke. it looks great!

to fix the hole in the back I put the uke on my printer and made a copy of the hole. Then I cut it out and used it as a template and cut a piece of mahogany to fit.

Attachments

• CIMG2922.jpg
    CIMG2922.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 67
to fix the hole in the back I put the uke on my printer and made a copy of the hole. Then I cut it out and used it as a template and cut a piece of mahogany to fit.
woah... nice.

I guess that's where the magnets could come in handy.

Besides using the magnets for the hole, I used them to stabilize the crack while the glue dried. One magnet on the inside and a couple on the outside.
It took a while to get the hang of how to use them. They are so strong it is hard to believe. here's a picture of the magnets at work holding a crack.

Attachments

• CIMG2917.jpg
    CIMG2917.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 100
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how does it sound?

Great job! I would love to hear it. I had been watching that auction too, glad it was bought by someone who did it justice!

Excellent restoration work! The second best good thing on this earth next to playing. Be proud. You deserve it.

Hey....Dave G I know what you mean about the designs. I keep thinking I should have kept them and put a coat of lacquer over it.

Top Bottom