Fremont Black Lines on PS

Uke-lahoma

Reaction score
I recently changed out the KoAloha clear strings that came on my Pineapple Sunday for a set of Fremont Black Lines. I like the sound of the new strings better, as they have settled in. The sound of the Fremonts is more "warm" I feel.

Here is a sound sample of the clear strings, and here is a sound sample of the black strings, after about one day of settling in.

Oh definitely the Black Lines! I have them on an old mahogany soprano, they are nice to fingerpick and easy to fret, and add warmth. Pretty close to Worth Browns.

Cool, glad to hear you're liking it. I tried blacklines on my Koaloha, and while they weren't bad, I preferred the Worths. Recently though, the Worths, while excellent in the britghness/clarity department, started to sound kind of thin to me....UUer Jumping Flea described the sound as "spongy" and I tend to agree. So, I put some Koolau golds on there, to see what nylon strings would sound like. I like them better so far...thicker, rounder, woody tone. They do sacrifice some brightness, in favor of more mid range. Only thing is, they are very slippery. I'm going to try Hilos next.

How do you like the gauge of the Fremonts? Does the thinness bother you at all, or do you prefer it?

EDIT: BTW, totally agree about the black strings being best aesthetically......

How do you like the gauge of the Fremonts? Does the thinness bother you at all, or do you prefer it?

I think the Fremonts may be a little thicker than the Koaloha clears that they replaced. Since I have Aquilas on my other ukes, the clears felt too thin. The blacks feel alright. (So either the blacks ARE thicker than the clears, or I am just getting used to the feel.)

I'm pretty sure Fremont Blacklines are thinner than Worth clears. If I wasn't so darned lazy, I'd google it. I think the worth A string is .022, while the Fremont is .019. Not that it matters, if you like em, you like em...

Just finished restringing my PS with Worth CTs. I used Tiger's Eye glass beads with Ashley's knots. The A string pulled right through the bead and uke eye twice. I enlarged the knot each time and I think I've finally got it secured. I thought the bead was cracking but I think the knot was just slipping right through. I can't find the beads on the floor to confirm if it cracked or not!

The PS was strung with Aquilas when I bought it. It has the spiked rosewood bridge and I thought the rosewood would prevent the strings from cutting into the wood like the koa bridge but it still did. I was disappointed when I took off the Aquilas and saw the marks on the saddle.

The Tiger's Eye color matches the PS well since the amber colored outer ring matches the lighter koa while the black, translucent eye matches the ebony saddle and darker grains of koa.

Kudos to GX for helping me out with the restringing.

20091102Ukes-8-2.jpg

20091102Ukes-92-1.jpg

Top Bottom