how many nut files and what size

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
how many nut files do I need to make a nut for a soprano uke. I thought I saw somewhere that only two are needed but I don't know what sizes to get
they all seem to be off from the size strings I usually use ( M600 ). Can I use a .025 file for a .021 string ? Will it matter? Do I need four files? Please save me some money. Thanks

I use these, made from one 32 TPI hacksaw blade....I lu'v e'm:D
3nutfiles.jpg

See the little scallops on the two thinner ones? That's where the saw blade was filed down to get those dimensions.

See the little scallops on the two thinner ones? That's where the saw blade was filed down to get those dimensions.

Nicely spotted Dave :)...but i did it on my thickness sander with the aid of double sided adhesive tape.. a diamond type file and micrometer would work just as well..or rubbing it down on a diamond lap..or whatever?/...the Hacksaw blade was .036" to start with...so there's not a lot of blade to reduce.

I dont have a thickness sander. I thought I would buy a couple files from stewart macdonald. From what I've been reading so far I'm thinking all I need for files would be a .025 and a .036 for my strings which are .021,.032,.036,and.025.
Am I correct in my thinking? The bigger size file will be fine for a smaller size string? Well........?

After seeing the "files" you made Timbuck, I went out and made a couple for myself. Then I slotted two nuts for ukes I'm building. I finished the bottom of the slots with the welding tip cleaners to make them round. It worked very well. Thanks.
Doug

Top Bottom