Kala Lacewood or Mahogany Travel Tenor?

Dige

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking at getting either the lacewood with spruce top, or spruce top with mahogany back and sides. Have any of you played both? What did you think of them? Are the mahogany sides and back laminate or solid mahogany? Thanks in advance for the advice!

D

I've played the Lacewood/Spruce Travel tenor, and it was something special. Gorgeous looks, great sound, top build quality. I haven't handled the mahogany version, but it would have to be truly amazing to top the Lacewood.

Ukantor.

Thanks Ukantor...I contacted MGM Mike about them and he said he thought the mahogany sides/back gave it a brighter tone, but the craftsmanship and quality is very apparent in the lacewood, and I love the beautiful wood grain. My whole family plays guitar (I'm a saxophone-player convert just getting into strings) and I'm a little partial to the mahogany sides/back, but the sound will ultimately sell it for me. On a cool side note, I'm from Sitka, AK, so it will be fun to have a uke that has a Sitka Spruce top!

D

Decided to go with the mahogany sides/back. Love the look, but also do too much backpacking and trekking to let a pretty lacewood uke get beat up too badly. Hopefully the mountain air here in Kurdistan doesn't eat up my acacia tenor and new travel goodness...gonna be a new test for humidification techniques!

D

I just received my soprano mahogany from MGM last night. I loved it, I am very happy with it and enjoy playing it.

Decided to go with the mahogany sides/back. Love the look, but also do too much backpacking and trekking to let a pretty lacewood uke get beat up too badly. Hopefully the mountain air here in Kurdistan doesn't eat up my acacia tenor and new travel goodness...gonna be a new test for humidification techniques!

D

Do you like your travel tenor? I just ordered one (with mahogany sides and back) and I can't wait to get it.

Being that I do a lot of camping in the rain forests of the NW (States...AK, WA, and OR), live in Iraq, and spend much time in the dynamic humidity and temperatures of Korea, I'm pretty happy I'll only have my new acacia tenor to pamper in humidifying love (although the spruce top of the travel will need some care). I'll be grabbing up a lacewood soprano for true ultra-portability...but not until I continue my UAS with a red cedar-topped concert from Mainland with the Mi-Si. :)

I hope you guys who ordered the travel mahoganies get them soon and post reviews. I'm about to pull the trigger on one from MGM, but this being my first uke, I'm also considering a flamed mahogany concert.

Will

I will be receiving a mahogany travel tenor from MGM for christmas so I will post reviews and sound samples when I get it. I'm super excited to play it, and am going to make a beatles song with it.

Top Bottom