Songs for 9-year-olds?

lizaloo

Reaction score
Ello all!

So I'm playing my uke at a campfire in about a week for many many youngish girl scouts (probably ages 8 to 10) and need some song ideas. I'm trying not to use too many of the stale, traditional scouting songs that not many of them will actually know anyway, but then I'm wondering what songs they'd at least know the tune of pretty well. Any ideas?

Edit: Here are the songs I have so far-- Any suggestions/critiques?

Hakuna Matata

You've Got a Friend in Me

Help!

Build me Up Buttercup

Kookaburra

Puff the Magic Dragon

Yellow Submarine

Sipping Cider

Lean on Me

Last edited:
My 5th grade students loved playing and singing "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" on their ukuleles last year.

I'm very fond of an artist named Barry Louis Polisar, who's been writing wacky, off-key songs for kids since the 1970s, when I was a kid. I'm a big fan of the songs on Captured Live and in the Act, one of his early albums, and if I had to pick two, it would be He Eats Asparagus, Why Can't You Be That Way? (attached) and Don't Stick Your Finger Up Your Nose.

Most of his stuff is pretty easy to play on guitar or uke, and he has a (paper) song book available for sale on his web site.

--Mark

Attachments

• asparagus.pdf
    4.3 KB · Views: 7
You might actually want to have a good look at the actual lyrics of "Build Me Up Buttercup". Our ukulele group plays it (just did tonight actually) and that song has got to be one of the most dysfunctional love songs I can think of.

It's got a nice tune and all, but the lyrics are a tortured psychological mess. I'm struck by that every time I sing the song. I just don't think anybody pays close enough attention to stuff like that when it's accompanied by a toe tapping melody.

I did chord out a version of "I Like Bananas (Because They Have No Bones)" that's a fun little novelty tune if you're interested...

Last edited:
My 5th grade students loved playing and singing "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" on their ukuleles last year.

Do yiou have the chords? I ahve looked online for those but i can't find them.

I know that the song is over played (i've never played it and have only heard it a few times) but I'm Yours and Umbrella. Both are apparently fairly easy and most 9 year olds know both songs. I use a variety of folk children type songs for our uke club and the kids love it b/c they are playing songs. Of course your group will be singing and not playing so it'll be different.

I love the SpongeBob songs! And that campfire songbook is awesome; I wish I had that when I was a Girl Scout leader.

I am a big fan of John Lithgow's kid songs. Stuff like "I'm a Manatee" and "Marsupial Sue"... they're awesome songs, and really cleverly written.

Easy hapa haole favorites: Hukilau, and Little Grass Shack.

This year's big hits with the 8-12 yr old set at school:
"Flying Purple People Eater" * (C-F-G7) and
"Love Potion #9" (Am-Dm-C-E7-B7)

Last year's big hits:
"Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (in C) and
"Build Me Up Buttercup"

*YouTube user MusicTeacher2009 (and UU member) has a great teaching video with a chordsheet link to "Flying Purple People Eater" here

Do yiou have the chords? I ahve looked online for those but i can't find them.
F is a good key for kids to sing in. If you are thinking of kids playing, the Bb is tough for them and adults as well. The chords are F-C7-F-Bb-C7-F-C7. Your ear should be able to tell you when to change. If not, I can post a quick video.

In the key of C the chords are C-G7-C-F-G7-C-G7
In the key of G the chords are G-D7-G-C-D7-G-D7
Regards,
Ray

Last edited:
Top Bottom