Cdim substitution?

Malachi

Reaction score
hi guys, i am new here and i kinda fell in love with this instrument, and i am wondering is there any alternatives to Cdim? i find it hard to switch chords quickly from C - Cdim, thank you.

Welcome to UU!! What I do is use the G7 shape (moved up one fret) and wrap my thumb over the top to hold the 4th string at the 2nd fret.

Edit: Here's a video where I use that shape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WSDouxnhLY

Last edited:
hi guys, i am new here and i kinda fell in love with this instrument, and i am wondering is there any alternatives to Cdim? i find it hard to switch chords quickly from C - Cdim, thank you.

What song is this Cdim appearing in?

JJ

Welcome to UU.

As you continue to read through various threads you'll find a recurring theme. In a word, Practice.

This is not a "scolding", just a gentle reminder that in the beginning, well, everything is difficult.

Cdim is one of my favorite chords now, but in the beginning I found it almost impossible to change to in time with the rhythm of a song. Now, it's second nature.

I used to think Am7 (2433) was difficult, then F#m7 (2424), but now they are very comfortable.

The key is practice, generally in the form of continually playing songs that include them.

My encouragement to you is to simply work on it from time to time. If it's part of a song you really want to play, then work on it more often. Finger dexterity will come in time, along with callouses, finger strength, and wonderful coordination between chord forming and rhythm strumming. All in good time, and accelerated by purposeful practice.

You might try to form the Cdim for the C but only actually press down the C on the A string. In other words, get positioned during the C to play the Cdim.

Another trick would be to only play the C, Gb and Eb of the Cdim (the A, E, and C strings), leaving out the A on the G string. It's a slightly easier shape.

You might also be able to get away with a Cm7-flat5 at 3323 or 5666. It's got the flat 3rd and 5th of the diminished chord, so it might work in the context of the song.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I'd try. :)

Is Cdim 2323? If so, then I'd play C using my ring finger on the A string, then at Cdim, I'd keep that ring finger where it is, bar the second fret with my index, and middle finger on 3rd fret on C string.

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ukuleledechocobochords.pdf

Game song, but the rhythm to it is very sweet,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtdhZZZ6Xo&feature=PlayList&p=AF34CD4FE33E364F&index=0&playnext=1

as played by this guy, (atleast thats where i get the chords from), what makes it hard is the fast tempo, but i will practice harder :D,

Use your pinky for the C chord, and keep the rest of your fingers close to the fretboard. Economy of movement. Make it easy on yourself.

What Seeso said :agree: learn to use that pinky and it helps Sooooo much.

In my 24 weeks of classes I think forcing us to use the pinky was the most long term useful skill I learned

Actually, plain Cdim is a triad (1, b3, b5) and would be 5323.

That 2323 chord is a Cdim7. It has the extra bb7 note.

Those changes do come with practice. Keep at it and Cdim(7) will see easy soon enough. :)

Yup, you really must master that dim(7) shape. Keep at it, and soon you'll wonder what the problem was. Get the Bb, and Dm7 shape down too.

I've developed a problem with my left hand, and a few months ago found it physically impossible to play the dim(7) chords the way I was used to. I had to devise a new way to go about it, and then change. That was not easy, but you've got to do these things.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom