Pono PKT-2-e solid Koa vs. Pono PTM-T solid Mango

El_Duderino

Reaction score
Seriously dude, anyone who knows their Ponos knows that the PKT-1 model is the way to go! All that useless bling on the PKT-2 just tarts it up and makes it look tacky, and who needs a pickup??

And mango, since when did mango become "THE" tonewood du jour?? What's so freakin' awesome about mango?? :confused:

If I was you I'd go for something like this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21272

Sweet, simple, very playable and at a great price! :drool:

:smileybounce:

All that sort of kidding aside and I'm pretty much joking here :D for that price on the PKT-2, if sound is more important than looks, I'd say spend an extra C-note or two and get a plain Kanile'a from MGM. You can have a pick up installed by the factory if that's something you really want. The quality for the price is outstanding. Koa and mango are both acacia species (or am I thinking of blackwood?) and are similar in sound, it's how it's made into a uke that is important. Playability usually increases with price to some extent too.

Check out the reviews, here's the mango:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18108
And here's reviews:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Try Googling the PKT with "review" and you should find some that will help.

If money is no object new is fine, otherwise below a certain price a clean, well cared for used uke is a good way to start upgrading. You get a uke that someone has to sell because they want a custom, and you generally get a deal. As the ukes get more expensive however, (say $800. and up) that warranty that only comes with a new uke is a very good thing to have IMHO.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
+1, with one small exception; if it's a Kamaka, they are more varied in quality now if newer, so you'd likely need to play several together to get a good one. If you are looking at a white label (older, I think it's like 1980s-90s) the odds are better it will sound pretty good.

I came thisclose to a KoAloha several times, ended up with a white label Kamaka and a Kanile'a, so next time (HAHAHAHA, I'd be grounded for a year) a KoAloha for sure, a pineapple! (I really need to learn to play them now, I have no more excuses).

Keli'i is also another good quality Hawaiian made "K" and somewhat overlooked.

And listening to all the others who've gone before you playing the same uke you may want on YouTube will help a lot. That's how I got my Pono and my Kanile'a. And why I prefer the KoAloha pineapple.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the responses have been great. Keem 'em coming. As far as the Kamakas go, would a 2000 be ok, or would I be taking a gamble getting one like this from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kamaka-Beautifu...ultDomain_0?hash=item1e58f434bf#ht_720wt_1167

I'm partial to this type of koa pattern, and the Koaloha/Kanile'a seem to be a bit out of my range (the PKT-2 I am looking at is actually about $500, not the exact one I posted, sorry).

Last edited:
That's a white label Kamaka tenor for $845 with BIN and the cost of Priority shipping, not a steal but with nice curly, and if it sounds as good as it looks you could be very happy with it. Do a search on eBay for Kamaka tenor ukulele, then on the left check the box for completed items. There should still be some shown and with pics still up. It gives you an idea of the actual market price.

$500. for a new Pono PKT-2 isn't bad.

It's tough, isn't it?? :agree:

HOWEVER. You can't go wrong with MGM!!! :shaka:

Last edited:
So...just for kicks...which would you choose between the PKT-2 and the PTM-T? :)

I'd go with the mango, if only for the unique looks. The koa Pono looks nice, but for only a little bit more, you could get a Hawaiian K-brand koa tenor. The mango has less competition, and looks super sweet.

So...just for kicks...which would you choose between the PKT-2 and the PTM-T? :)

I'd go for the Koa. Long since discontinued, more traditional, beautiful...

But I also have to echo the sentiments re: Kanile'a or other K-brand. If you have the money, go that way.

My vote would be for the Kanile'a. When I decided to be a serious Uke player I did a huge search going to Elderly Instruments playing- I think all that they had. I then ran across a fellow with a Kanile'a and that was it. I had a concert long neck made and then the soprano love these the best of my entire collection.
I've also played a Pono that my deceased friend had and while it is quit nice it just didn't have the voice of the Kanile'a. With that being said it may have been that it was played very little and needed a good set up. Over my life time of building and setting up instruments I've found almost every instrument will improve with the right set up and string combination. Doug

+1 Doug is right on. My Pono needed a touch of adjustment and the right strings which however made a huge difference, and Kanile'as are very smoooth.

:agree:

So would you all agree that the Pono PKT-2 is a solid choice if I'm trying to keep things below $600?

If you are trying to keep the price down then I don't think it would be a bad choice.

Top Bottom